Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Talking poker outside 2p2

who has friends that dont play poker?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ha. I usually just try to be vague. If they ask me about money I have no problem being vague, "I lost a little" or "I won a bit" or "I finished about even I think" usually appeases them.

The only thing I sometimes don't catch myself on is when someone asks something like "Wiggs, how do you play pocket pairs before the flop" and I come back with "I mean, are you first to open? How many big blinds is your stack? What position are you in. I mean it depends on all that, plus how loose or tight everyone is behind you. If someone raised how big was it? Just one opponent? Oh it also depends on how many people are at the table and how big everyone's stack is behind you." - And then they say "I just mean, when you get a pair, what do you usually do?" Puts me on life tilt and I wish I had just said "call" the first time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm out to dinner with my dad's wife's family. Her sister's husband is a finance guy (wealthy and retired ldo) and digs poker. He comes up to me during the dinner and goes, and I quote, "You have ace king and you read a guy for a pair, are you in or are you out?"

[/ QUOTE ]
"I'm not just in, IM ALL-IN BABY WOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Then you hi-five!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL quoted for AWESOMENESS!!! AMIRITE?!?!?!?!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wonder why people think it's okay to ask how much you win or lose, it's not like it's acceptable to ask how much my salary is a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh cause with most other jobs people have a reasonable idea of how much that person makes. Lighten up they are just asking a question and making conversation, you don't have to answer it specifically.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Uh cause with most other jobs people have a reasonable idea of how much that person makes. Lighten up they are just asking a question and making conversation, you don't have to answer it specifically.

[/ QUOTE ]

To people that just want to compare peens, I always want to scream something about being a millionaire, but settle with "I do alright"

Although some [censored] friend of a friend the other day told me that I "didnt do anything for a living" and "no really, do you wait tables or something" at which point I point I set down my scotch, literally gave him the talk to the hand gesture, and told him "I dont like you, go the [censored] away"
Old 11-20-2007, 03:33 AM

i feel like my poker evolution is held back due to the fact i dont have friends the are really into poker like me. most of the best players have a small group of friends they talk with about strategy. i need some new friends
Old 11-20-2007, 04:15 AM

I learned a long time ago that there is a point somewhere between $1,000 and $20,000 in winnings where people go from being excited for you to resenting you or they think you are a lying PoS.

Also, a poker playing friend of mine would sometimes share my results with his buddies, almost without fail he got the "yeah, but how much does he lose?" response. If you ever tell people how much you make, you can be sure thats what they're thinking.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 AM

I usually dont get into specific numbers. 'Normal' people can't comprehend the swings related to my gambling lifestyle. Up a little/down a little are my canned answers.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:10 AM

I have friends that play poker. That doesnt mean they actually play for money however. Talking strat. with some of my friends would be akin to talking to a tree.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just don't talk poker with people who don't have a deep understanding of it. people that don't get poker and try to talk poker with me usually end up not liking me.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is dead-on. NH.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 AM

happy birthday!