Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: How well could an illiterate person do in today\'s society?

[ QUOTE ]
lets say someone is 18 now, was home schooled and learned everything orally. he has had every book read to him and such and has had a normal education aside from the fact that he cannot read. assuming he is a white male living in the U.S say growing up in a small town in montana and isnt an athlete, what is the best job this person could hold? how much do you think he could make annually and would he be able to function in a city? if my questions are too vague feel free to interpret them however you feel is most interesting to you

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in the UK, if someone worked hard at it, within 6/7 years in the trade they could earn ~£42,000(~$84,000)/anum in construction. (I am a builder, not self employed (Any more) and that's what I earned last year after just 6 years in the business)

I have worked with tradesmen in the past that cannot read at all, and they do fine.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lets say someone is 18 now, was home schooled and learned everything orally. he has had every book read to him and such and has had a normal education aside from the fact that he cannot read. assuming he is a white male living in the U.S say growing up in a small town in montana and isnt an athlete, what is the best job this person could hold? how much do you think he could make annually and would he be able to function in a city? if my questions are too vague feel free to interpret them however you feel is most interesting to you

[/ QUOTE ]

Why home schooled? A public school graduate is many times more likely to be illiterate than a home schooler. Also why white? Illiteracy is many times more likely amongst minorities.

Your PC pollution is showing.

[/ QUOTE ]

it appears you are a troll, but i will respond anyway. he is home-schooled because he is otherwise intelligent so if he were in a public school he probably would have learned to read. the idea is that he has never been exposed to the written word other than it being read to him. he is a white male because if he were a female/minority it would add in other variables, and by scientific method i want the only variable to be the one im examining
Old 11-17-2007, 04:04 PM

Old 11-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Jacques Demers
Old 11-17-2007, 05:10 PM

I think I could get by without being able to read. Honestly, the most important skill in succeeding in life, charisma/charm, would also be the most important skill here. I think a lot of people could get by pretty close to normally.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jacques Demers

[/ QUOTE ]

you win.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why home schooled? A public school graduate is many times more likely to be illiterate than a home schooler. Also why white? Illiteracy is many times more likely amongst minorities.

Your PC pollution is showing.

[/ QUOTE ]

it appears you are a troll, but i will respond anyway. he is home-schooled because he is otherwise intelligent so if he were in a public school he probably would have learned to read. the idea is that he has never been exposed to the written word other than it being read to him. he is a white male because if he were a female/minority it would add in other variables, and by scientific method i want the only variable to be the one im examining

[/ QUOTE ]

Focusing on a white male won't reduce literacy to the only variable. How tall is he? How good looking? How strong? How much of a smooth talker? These are variables that will also determine the success he has in the workplace.

As for being able to function in a city, I don't think it would be a problem. What I have seen suggests people who have trouble reading set up strong networks to help them accomplish things that need to get done by print, similar to the ways in which immigrants who don't speak English negotiate tasks with the help of friends and family who translate.

This is an interesting topic, primarily because far more people than you think have trouble with even mildly complex literacy tasks e.g., inferring information from a newspaper article. And this issue is going to heat up as manufacturing jobs get shipped overseas, and more and more people are going to need to perform complex reading and writing for jobs in the "knowledge economy."
Old 11-21-2007, 05:16 AM

He could make a good salary by learning a trade or doing construction work. Barring contruction and related trades, he'd probably top out at $15-25 per hour doing some sort of maintenance or janitorial work.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:01 PM

he could play online poker, no?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he could play online poker, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

he could also be an astronaut, but doesn't mean he will