Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 03:23 AM

Default How well could an illiterate person do in today\'s society?

lets say someone is 18 now, was home schooled and learned everything orally. he has had every book read to him and such and has had a normal education aside from the fact that he cannot read. assuming he is a white male living in the U.S say growing up in a small town in montana and isnt an athlete, what is the best job this person could hold? how much do you think he could make annually and would he be able to function in a city? if my questions are too vague feel free to interpret them however you feel is most interesting to you
Old 11-17-2007, 03:57 AM

Default Re: How well could an illiterate person do in today\'s society?

Inability to use email, im, text messaging, etc. would be a big problem. On the other hand, if he can somehow get a high enough position to have underlings do that stuff for him, he could probably do surprisingly well if he had charisma and negotiation skills.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:19 AM

If no one else is in on the game probably not much higher than dishwasher or fast food employee.

If he has someone in on it and is a born salesman probably pretty far in a sales heavy, high touch field, like car or house sales.

The not being able to write is going to be almost as big a problem as the reading.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:35 AM

I've had a very large number of jobs and I don't think a single one of them could have been done without being able to read
Old 11-17-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lets say someone is 18 now, was home schooled and learned everything orally. he has had every book read to him and such and has had a normal education aside from the fact that he cannot read. assuming he is a white male living in the U.S say growing up in a small town in montana and isnt an athlete, what is the best job this person could hold? how much do you think he could make annually and would he be able to function in a city? if my questions are too vague feel free to interpret them however you feel is most interesting to you

[/ QUOTE ]

Why home schooled? A public school graduate is many times more likely to be illiterate than a home schooler. Also why white? Illiteracy is many times more likely amongst minorities.

Your PC pollution is showing.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why home schooled? A public school graduate is many times more likely to be illiterate than a home schooler. Also why white? Illiteracy is many times more likely amongst minorities.

[/ QUOTE ]

god you suck.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:51 AM

You could probably get a job in construction. My dad and most of his friends, while not illiterate, could not read English yet they managed to get construction jobs.

When my dad retired his income was about $65-70k.

He lives in a suburb of Toronto and has managed fine. Mind you he can read English now but for the first 10 years he couldn't yet had no major issues.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:54 AM

id look for an in with organized crime
Old 11-17-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could probably get a job in construction. My dad and most of his friends, while not illiterate, could not read English yet they managed to get construction jobs.

When my dad retired his income was about $65-70k.

He lives in a suburb of Toronto and has managed fine. Mind you he can read English now but for the first 10 years he couldn't yet had no major issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first financially successful illiterate person I knew was around 40 years old, worked at a small factory and bought, repaired, sold/rented residential property. He was a millionaire by age 30 or so. Worked very hard on finding and improving the properties.
Welders, loggers, fishermen etc can do ok also, especially if they have a spouse or good friend to help with specifics. It's not that unusual in fields like those. Once they catch on to the cycle of 'save some money, put it to work in a hands-on project' they can do very well.
$100K+ would be common in hot labor markets like western canada.

luckyme
Old 11-17-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you are hilarious. You arent a human poster so much as an automated agenda machine. Its kind of impressive, someone get Mr. Turing on the phone.