Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Weather Channel Founder says\"Global Warming is Biggest Scam in His

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The federal government already has a variety of subsidy programs for renewable energy and more money is a part of most of the presidential candidates platforms.

[/ QUOTE ]

no I mean like a manhattan project for solar energy, and then a lot of programs to get individuals and businesses and industries to switch over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Government will fight distributed solar tooth and nail because it would largely decentralize electric power generation and threaten the electric power cartel.

[/ QUOTE ]
A good thing the government is there to keep us from ravaging the environment, isn't it?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Weather Channel Founder says\"Global Warming is Biggest Scam in History

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Weather Channel Founder calls Global Warming Biggest Scam in History

Discuss....

[/ QUOTE ]

John Coleman is dead wrong; Religion is the "Biggest Scam in History", Mr. Coleman needs to get his facts straight.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the difference.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The federal government already has a variety of subsidy programs for renewable energy and more money is a part of most of the presidential candidates platforms.

[/ QUOTE ]

no I mean like a manhattan project for solar energy, and then a lot of programs to get individuals and businesses and industries to switch over.

I mean, right now renewable energy is just a waste for 99% because it just isn't cost competitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

The manhattan project was to spend money to buld a nuclear bomb. Government spending is not going to make a non price comeptitive product price competitive. Did the government subsidize the car industry to replace horses? In fact can you site one example where government made an entire industry price competitive? Sure wasn't the Post Office!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, right now renewable energy is just a waste for 99% because it just isn't cost competitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

The manhattan project was to spend money to buld a nuclear bomb. Government spending is not going to make a non price comeptitive product price competitive. Did the government subsidize the car industry to replace horses? In fact can you site one example where government made an entire industry price competitive? Sure wasn't the Post Office!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, by banning hemp, they made all kings of things price competitive with hemp products.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the point is that in 1940, atomic bombs were about a decade or two away given advancing technology.

today, given nanotechnoly and it's advancement, solar power that is *cheaper* than fossil fuels is between 10 and 30 years depending on who you ask. I posted a link to one guy in this thread.

see the parallel?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:18 AM

So are all of the scientist part of a government conspiracy to take over the world?

I wish people could be more rational concerning there Libertarian views. I know its a very romantic and easy position to say that everything the government does it evil; but it gets tiresome.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So are all of the scientist part of a government conspiracy to take over the world?

I wish people could be more rational concerning there Libertarian views. I know its a very romantic and easy position to say that everything the government does it evil; but it gets tiresome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nearly everything the government does is destructive aside from a few collective action problems. Is this nuanced enough?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:00 AM

I consider myself a Libertarian but the whole "ZOMG 9/11 WAS A GOVERNmENT CONSPIRACY" and "ZOMG GLOBAL WARMING IS GOVERNMENT PROPOGANDA" etc. is just dumb and boring. As a Libertarian one should look at the world independently and not see everything obscured and irrationally as to support your own prerogative.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I consider myself a Libertarian but the whole "ZOMG 9/11 WAS A GOVERNmENT CONSPIRACY" and "ZOMG GLOBAL WARMING IS GOVERNMENT PROPOGANDA" etc. is just dumb and boring. As a Libertarian one should look at the world independently and not see everything obscured and irrationally as to support your own prerogative.

[/ QUOTE ]
joke?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

No , why would this be a joke? I assume it's because you think the right-wing free martket libertarianism unique to the US is the only type of libertarianism there is. Good to see the propoganda system working at its best...