Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: College App Question: SAT scores vs. GPA

I thought over your situation a bit, and came up with this advice:

Don't worry about the SAT writing score ... most colleges don't really care about it. That gives you like a 1560/1600 ... which is 99+ percentile. Those SATs are first rate ... good enough for any school in the United States (even HYPS etc.).

But .... In your situation (not so great GPA), Class rank is key (most top-tier schools consider class rank a better indicator of academic performance than GPA) Since your school doesn't rank ... your counselor should still be able to indicate to colleges within what percentage you fall (top 5%, 10%, 20% etc.) This is standard procedure for schools that don't rank.

Regardless, your recs. will be absolutely essential. your counselor needs to emphasize your tough course load and (hopefully) an upward trend in grades from your freshman year (colleges love that kind of stuff). your teachers need to emphasize your work ethic, classroom performance etc. (you don't want to come off looking like a slacker ... which is what your GPA and SATs might suggest to some)
If you get good recs, your GPA won't be as much of a problem.

Again ... don't worry about a 3.3/3.4 too much (especially if you come from a top high school) ... schools will overlook it if everything else is in place ... 3.0s from top prep schools get into Ivy's all the time

As far as essays go, some schools care more than others ... they don't have to be great or extra-creative ... just solid and well-written.

As for your schools:

-Have you taken SAT II subject tests?? they are required for some of the schools you have listed (stanford, cal tech). If not, I'd get around to it ASAP.

-U chicago doesn't offer engineering. It's a pretty miserable place to be as well. Geeky students, ugly girls, grade deflation, and overwhelming work. Go to Northwestern (you have a great chance of getting in), go to McCormick school of engineering, and profit.

-UCs will be very, very difficult for you OOS with mediocre GPA.

-Stanford and Cal Tech are obvious reaches ... good luck
Old 11-25-2007, 12:50 AM

thanks for the lengthy post, but you missread something; i got a 760 on writing, 690 on reading, so i have a 1490 composite without writing. i am not applying to cal tech. chicago i know doesnt have engineering but from everything ive heard it sounds like a really cool school so that is the one case i wouldn't mind doing a physics major and deciding later what i want to do, though it is not a top choice. i have taken two SAT IIs so far, 700 US history and 590 lit (i dont plan to submit lit, i just took it cause i was there to take US history anyway). im taking physics and math IIc december 1st.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:31 AM

1490 is an excellent score as well. As far as SAT IIs go, The problem with them is that when you submit your scores from the Dec. 1st exam, they will see every SAT you've ever taken on the report (including the 590). Generally, though, most places only consider the best 2 or 3, so I think you're in fine shape.

Good luck with everything ... I'm sure you will get admitted to several of the schools you listed ... I just wouldn't get your hopes up for Stanford or Berkeley.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1490 is an excellent score as well. As far as SAT IIs go, The problem with them is that when you submit your scores from the Dec. 1st exam, they will see every SAT you've ever taken on the report (including the 590). Generally, though, most places only consider the best 2 or 3, so I think you're in fine shape.

Good luck with everything ... I'm sure you will get admitted to several of the schools you listed ... I just wouldn't get your hopes up for Stanford or Berkeley.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i am well aware of my odds at those schools. my first choice that isnt an ultra-reach is harvey mudd, i thought the style of education was really cool even though the city life may as well be amish
Old 11-25-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the lengthy post, but you missread something; i got a 760 on writing, 690 on reading, so i have a 1490 composite without writing. i am not applying to cal tech. chicago i know doesnt have engineering but from everything ive heard it sounds like a really cool school so that is the one case i wouldn't mind doing a physics major and deciding later what i want to do, though it is not a top choice. i have taken two SAT IIs so far, 700 US history and 590 lit (i dont plan to submit lit, i just took it cause i was there to take US history anyway). im taking physics and math IIc december 1st.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've heard U Chicago is miserable for a lot of people. I go to Northwestern and I know numerous transfers that came here from U Chicago and are much happier. Make sure you visit U Chicago and stay with someone to get a better feel of what it's like. All of my knowledge about the school is from hearing what other people say, so go yourself to make a proper judgment. You might also be interested in Northwestern's engineering program as someone else said.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:50 AM

im really trying to avoid ultra cold, im only applying to chicago because if for some unknown reason i decide i really want to go into physics there aren't many better places. i really do not intend on going to chicago, its just a random school that got put on list that i ended up keeping just in case
Old 11-25-2007, 02:57 AM

well then california schools FTW
Old 11-25-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well then california schools FTW

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that is why 9 of my 12 schools are here, the outliers are chicago which we already discussed, carnegie mellon because it is supposed to be quite good, and lafayette where a friend of mine goes as mech-eng major and loves it
Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 PM

OP, I goto Carnegie Mellon

My HS GPA was a 3.2 or something, (old)SAT was 1450 and I got in, so if your app is normal I'd suspect you'll be accepted. Also know a lot of people with lower SAT scores who are lower. Any questions let me know

edit -- pittsburgh is cold fyi, 30 degrees today
Old 11-25-2007, 08:09 PM

Yeah Carnegie Mellon is easy to get into if your applying to any field aside from Computer science and drama/music, so engineering shouldn't be hard to get in. My brother majored in comp sci there, which is tied top 3 with Stanford and MIT. A lot of the schools on your list have closed major, so make sure you check out the stats for EE at those school.