Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Re: would Jesus have been good at poker?

[ QUOTE ]
Josh McDowell at one point was an atheist. In trying to disprove the legitimacy of Christ, he proved it to himself and wrote about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is this? Did he pitch for the Whitesox?

Is dying on the cross when you're the almighty sort of like stacking off light when you're on a 100% stake?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well his mother could obviously pull off a good bluff so who knows?

[/ QUOTE ]
wow. nh.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread is a major beat. all religious people are stupid (as they believe in an imaginary creature).

We'll he's not imaginary, he lived on this planet a while back. Let's say that Jesus was just a man, nothing more. I'll bet that you know very little about him. I'll also bet you know the lyrics to a million songs but cannot recite one qoute from Jesus. Even if his story is all B.S., it's an amazing drama. He was a political rebel and an outcast. He was guilty of no crime and was brutally killed anyway. He had heart, courage and conviction...I like that. If Jesus were alive today He would be exactly the type of person I would want to surround myself with. Someone that is generous, honest, helpful and truthful are the making for a great friend. If you read any of his parables I dare you to find the fault in them. You can't because they are perfect. Organized religion just like man can be corrupt and wrong. It's in our nature, we can't keep from putting ourselves first. Just because I don't like all the things that religion does, doesn't mean I'm going to reject the truth. It shines like the sun and is just as reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the nature of telling people to take things on faith as opposed to logically reasoning them out what causes religion to be a breeding ground for corruption, misuse, and unfortunately war?

A lot of what Jesus says makes sense, not because it's the word of Jesus, but because there's a logical reason for it. Religion is the opposite of teaching people how to fish. Instead of showing people how to logically rationalize what's right and wrong, they're taught to take things on faith - thus left wide open to be mislead by misinterpretations of this so-called will of God.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like the old Jewish saying, if I knew God, I would be God. I find this intriguing and an obvious reason why it was deemed heretical. Perhaps it is just mystical-bs but at least the intent ('to learn, to know') is better than the Bible ('to believe, to worship').

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of something from an early mystical Christian writing, "We shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is".

Oh, wait, that's the Bible.

There's a LOT more going on in orthodox Christianity than many orthodox Christians know, let alone what you know.

Which means you aren't qualified to make the kind of pronouncements you've been making.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:00 AM

Yes imo.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:03 AM

This is a tough question.

He is the son of God, but I think he can't lie. Sorta like could God make a cookie so big even he couldn't eat it.

I dunno, I'd flip a coin.