Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 AM

Default NBA Power Rankings, WEST.

I'm ranking teams based on how I perceive their chances of winning an NBA championship. How I see it...

Playoffs? Playoffs? (No chance at all, lottery bound after day 1)
15th. Sonics - This team is god awful and will struggle to win 20 games. (I predict less then 20, for what it's worth) The only exciting question is how many points will Durant score / will he be RoY? I'd answer it with 22.3ppg and "yes".
14th. Timberwolves - The Celtics last year had a dismal record in the East. This Timberwolves team is that Celtics team with Randy Foye instead of Paul Pierce. They'll win 22ish games simply because Big Al is a beast. The only question HERE will be "will A Jefferson make the all star team," and he has a legit chance as KG is no longer Western and Elton is out for the year.
13th. Clippers - I almost feel bad for them. Their best player - a top 20 player when healthy - is done for the year. With him they still missed the playoffs, and did nothing to get better. I still believe they're better then both the Sonics and T'Wolves, but... Sad thing is I can't list their starting 5. I think I can do that with any other team. Ouch! :X 25ish wins sounds about right.
12th. Trailblazers - Even without Oden, this team actually has some promise. They'll actually be exciting, too, as they have some neat developing players (will be key to see how Roy does in his sophomore year). I wouldn't really be surprised if they even hit 30 wins.

Contending for those #7 and #8 playoff spots!
11th. Grizzles - It's hard ranking them, simply because they are a MUCH different team then last year. One, they're healthy. Two, they have a point guard. Three, they aren't QUITE as young now. If they get up to a hot start, Pau will be on the all star team leading the Griz on the quest for .500. Otherwise, they project to around 33/35 wins, missing out again on the playoffs.
10th. Lakers - I'm ranking them pretty low because I feel they arent a favorite to making the playoffs. Also, they suck. The recent thread about "what can be done??" opened up my eyes to just how bad they are. IF they are healthy, clicking, ignore their egos, and function as a team, they're a team that will make the playoffs and lose 4-1 or 4-2. If not, they win 38 games, which is not good enough to get in, and are lottery-bound.
9th. Kings - I like Sacramento more then LA! It's weird to say, and again, I doubt they'll make the playoffs. But Kevin Martin should be getting better, will draw all star consideration, and again, if they have their act together EARLY in the season they'll make it. Otherwise, they may start shipping "assets" out. (Ala Bibby)
8th. Hornets - This team missed more games to injury then any other team last year. (Weird, huh?) They still almost made the playoffs. And they didn't get worse; rather, they're a bit older, have gelled, and are the front-runners to a .500 season and the 8th spot. I actually thought the West was deeper then this. Oh well! Chris Paul will compete with Deron Williams for the "who gets to back up nash at the all star game".
7th. Warriors - It's weird for me to think they're the favorite to make the playoffs, and do BETTER then last year (slipping in as the 8 spot) because I don't like this team as much as last year. Jrich missing will hurt quite a bit. The pressure really falls on Biedrins and Ellis; can they continue their growth/ascent to stardom? Possibly. Even still, I dont think they will get past the first round, miracles aside.

The "2nd tier" of playoff teams
6th. Rockets - It's sick to me that the Rockets are the "6th best Western team". They're really good! They should win ~48 games, possibly will cross the 50 game mark, but will AGAIN run into a monster in the first round and lose. (Probably the Spurs) I'm sorry Tmac. Yao will continue to improve and of course be the starting center in the ASG.
5th. Nuggets - Yes, I feel they're better then the Rockets. Why? The "star" core of Tmac/Yao is > Melo/AI, but the Rockets have Shane Battier then a bunch of scrubs. The Nuggets have legit players who may even play all-star calibre seasons. (Camby or Nene). Depth matters, even on 2-man teams. They should have nearly identical records of the Rockets.
4th. Jazz - I [censored] hate not putting the Jazz in the first tier, but they're not. They should make the 2nd round, but that's it. I love this team, but they're just not quite good enough. Don't know what to say, except I expect Mehmet to NOT make an all star team this year! (He's so brutal)

The Title Contenders
3rd. Mavs - Yeah, Dallas will rebound fine. They may even have the best overall regular season record with 60 wins or thereabout. But they're the 3rd best team in the west as far as I'm concerned.
2nd. Spurs - [censored] you San Antonio.
1st. Suns - LONG LIVE STEVE NASH MVP!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Re: NBA Power Rankings, WEST.

I think the Rockets are a clear #4. They had holes at PF & PG, and patched those up in the offseason.

I'm not as high on the Nuggets. I never thought they had great chemistry last year, and Iverson won't age well. He's still ineffective off the ball, has bad shot selection, and is losing his speed, which made up for it in his prime.

As long as Kobe's healthy, I don't see the Lakers missing the playoffs. Either way, I think it's his last year in LA, so I hope he goes for 100 every game.

I think the Hornets losing the OK home court advantage will hurt them a lot.

The Clippers best player is Corey Maggette [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 10-10-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am in love with another man for the first time.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am in love with another man for the first time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Steve Nash might disagree with this statement from you.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:46 AM

Great thread.

I think the Jazz are a bit overrated this year. Everything went right for them last year and Carlos Boozer played way better than ever before. I'd put them a few spots down at least.

And yeah, your L.A. ranking is silly. L.A. was the 4th best team in the West(perhaps in the league) last year before the injury bug hit them. If I put the over/under on the Lakers finish at #8, would you really bet the under?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:50 AM

Just to add:

Last year's Jazz team remind me a bit of the 05-06 L.A. Clippers who went to the 2nd round and barely lost to the Suns in 7 games. Elton Brand played way over his head that year and it just seemed like everything went right for them. I don't necessarily expect the Jazz to miss the playoffs like the Clippers did the next year, but I think they'll follow a slightly similar path.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And yeah, your L.A. ranking is silly. L.A. was the 4th best team in the West(perhaps in the league) last year before the injury bug hit them. If I put the over/under on the Lakers finish at #8, would you really bet the under?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet that they finish worse than 7.5.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats a pretty borderline bet. If you made it 8, then I'd take it with you. But with N.O. and Memphis looking improved its going to be much harder to make the playoffs this year. Of course there could be a team that falls off, but its really tough to pick one.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats a pretty borderline bet. If you made it 8, then I'd take it with you. But with N.O. and Memphis looking improved its going to be much harder to make the playoffs this year. Of course there could be a team that falls off, but its really tough to pick one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you 1.5 to 1. I'd wager 300 to win 200.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:11 AM

How do you have the Kings 9th??? Did they get any better from last year at all?