Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums

Old 10-09-2007, 04:21 PM

Default new forum: Coaching/Training

sponsored by Stoxpoker.com

seems like a pretty shrewd business move on their part. then again, could go down in flames like automotive forum.

uh, discuss?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: new forum: Coaching/Training

Interesting. I hadn't seen this yet so I checked it out after seeing your post; I saw a thread called "other sites allowed or just stoxpoker?" or something like that w/ three replies and clicked because I was wondering the same thing!

I was a little surprised when I was then taken to the error page; upon returning to the forum index, the thread was gone. lol, guess that answers THAT question.

I think this is a pretty terrible thing to do to 2+2. I guess it's a smart business decision for the site owners since they're getting paid for letting stox have his own forum here, but obviously business is going to suffer for freelance coaches like myself and tons of other SSNL/MSNLers as a result and it's just a really crappy thing to do to the people that helped make these forums what they are.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:02 PM

It says in the sticky "This forum is for discussions of any topics related to poker coaching and training." but i guess that they dont really want discussion of other coaches or sites like Cardrunners - which on a certain level i cant really hate on given the amount they gotta be paying to have the forum here.

That said if this is for Stox only discussion, i hope mods of other forums dont start forwarding threads to that forum when the topic of coaching comes up, nor is discussion of coaching sites other than Stox being limited because of this business relationship.

It seems a perfectly normal direction this coming up though - Stox's book was a 2+2 publication wasnt it? I know Moshman who is one of their coaches wrote the 2+2 SnG book and im pretty sure all their other coaches are 2+2ers to one degree or another so Stoxpoker and twoplustwo is pretty closely linked.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think this is a pretty terrible thing to do to 2+2. I guess it's a smart business decision for the site owners since they're getting paid for letting stox have his own forum here, but obviously business is going to suffer for freelance coaches like myself and tons of other SSNL/MSNLers as a result and it's just a really crappy thing to do to the people that helped make these forums what they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the opposite, its catering to the majority who read 2+2 and don't post, have an account, or know where to turn. The silent majority is what made 2+2 what it is today, with them the vocal minority (to which you and I belong) would have no audience.

honestly I don't think it will put a dent in your or my coaching services at all... there is still a need for one - on - one lessons.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:10 PM

TT,

Since it appears you coach and to one degree or another know more than us regular posters where does the site now stand on coaching discussion - especially discussing competitor sites like Cardrunners.

If the question came up i and many others would recommend CR over Stox simply due to their huge backcatalog (end shill, lol); but if i was Stox and was paying 2+2 to have this forum i wouldnt want the rest of the site recommending any other site or service like those you and goofy offer.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:21 PM

FWIW, there's been 2 sponsored RB forums for a year or so now, and I've never seen this to be limiting the discussion of other affiliates in the regular forums.

That being said, those two forums are in a seperate category called "Sponsored Support Foums". It strikes me as odd that this forum goes under "General Poker Discussion" and is titled "Coaching/Training". The only other sponsored forum I know of that is treated like this is the "Internet Bonuses" forum that is sponsored by RTR...I've never known RTR to limit discussion IRT other affiliates. It seems to me that sponsored forums should work one of two ways:

1) If it is going to be a sposnored forum in amongst all of the others, and appear to be the preferred place to discuss a topic, the sponsor should not be limiting the topics to only their own offerings.

2) If the sponsor is only going to allow discussion of their own services, the forum should clearly be seperated from the others.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 PM

As it stands now, it is misplaced in the sidebar and also misnamed.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:51 PM

I started a thread to ask about the deleted thread, and Stox replied that the other thread was deleted by mistake when he was trying to delete a certain post - guess the mod tools are difficult to get used to [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As it stands now, it is misplaced in the sidebar and also misnamed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exacty. Unless the intent is to allow open discussion of ALL coaching/training sites.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:55 PM

Bobo,

"Exacty. Unless the intent is to allow open discussion of ALL coaching/training sites."

Their initial answer said that the forum was for the promotion of stoxpoker.com and for 2+2 users to communicate with the coaches/admins of stoxpoker.com.

It looks like they have now modified that position to make it a forum for discussion of all poker training/coaching sites, which I think is a good idea both for that forum and 2+2 in general.