Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 10-08-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Flopped nut full vs tough villain, deep ($5/5)

Villain is slammeri - one of the toughest players on the ongame network IMO. He is loose and aggro. I have to raise this in the hopes he has a 4 and wants to 3bet flop, right? Flat-calling gives away my hand to an extent and allows him a free shot at a 2-outer? When we've been tangling in the last few days I've been more aggro by far and have mostly got it in bad, as a result, and sucked out.

Poker Room skin
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $5/$5
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $1.077.90
CO: $680.20
hero: $1.745
SB: $420.20
BB: $659

Pre-flop: (5 players) hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $20</font>, CO folds, hero calls, 2 folds.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($50, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $50</font>, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $150</font>, UTG folds.
Uncalled bets: $100 returned to hero.

Results:
Final pot: $150
Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Flopped nut full vs tough villain, deep ($5/5)

i think you did the right thing.......if you also raise in those spots with air.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:39 PM

I should add that villain c-bets a high %, and can two or even three-barrel but doesn't do it at all regularly.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should add that villain c-bets a high %, and can two or even three-barrel but doesn't do it at all regularly.

[/ QUOTE ]

even so, you smooth call and the turn is an ace, king or queen and then you might find yourself in a bind.......who knows.

i know, its a results oriented answer but i'll take those uncontested pots all day and also........ive found that i win big pots by playing my hands straight forward. tricky plays, as mike caro says, cost you money in the long run.

you have the nuts.......raise and who knows what might happen.

usually only good things.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:02 AM

I was hoping for something a little less airey! Like, what things should come into consideration when I decide what line I should take, how would I play A4xx in slammeri's shoes, the extra consideration of implied reverse tilt odds should he hit a 2/4-outer and stack me, should I use my position and let him hit an inferior hand (assuming he's playing a hand with an underpair in it), how the depth of stack affects the play, etc etc.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:22 AM

jesus, you think of all those things when you play? i just raise

i like your description of reverse implied tilt. i thought of that also, thats why i like the raise, just in case he does call and hits a 2 outer, it doesnt put you on tilt because you know you did everything possibly right to win the hand.

look, the main reason i like the raise is because good players try to represent paired boards. my first response was i liked your play if you also make those raises with air. if you do make those raises with air on paired boards, and your oponents know this, then your likelyhood of getting action increases........i dont know why i'm telling you this.......you already know.

i know your more correct than i am when you consider all the possibilities of calling vs. this opponent but i like to keep my game simple and have my opponents react to me, not the other way around.

but thats just me.

RAISE
Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 AM

Flat calling against a solid opponent gives much more info than raising IMO, especially if you aren't peeling the flop much. Raise and be happy when you get action because you have the flop totally crushed. He has to fire twice a high percentage of the time with air or w/e to make just calling the flop more profitable.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:43 AM

yes, as long as u raise this type of board frequently with air its your best shot at stacking him if he holds that 4, hell he might make do something stupid with AA/KK
Old 10-09-2007, 05:22 AM

i know its great to know the flop before you 3 bet, but considering you style and the stacks being this deep i would have thought you might 3 bet pre here? if it was an 8 instead of a 7 i think even i would 3 bet this deep :P
Old 10-09-2007, 06:56 AM

I raise this kind of flop very frequently with air, any 4 and the nut flush. Observant people then often get crazy and shove their AAxx and KKxx hands here.

I am currently in the office, otherwise I could post a few examples where decent nut-pendlers getting it in with KKxx+ Hands after beeing raised a few times before in the same session.