Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Re: 10k post

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ahnuld, for those of us youngsters making low-mid 6 figures from poker (and theres probably a ton of us here) what would you recommend as a starting point for a long-term savings/retirement plan? put away 10k a year? 20k? where would you put it? thanks for the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also find this useful.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ahnuld, for those of us youngsters making low-mid 6 figures from poker (and theres probably a ton of us here) what would you recommend as a starting point for a long-term savings/retirement plan? put away 10k a year? 20k? where would you put it? thanks for the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also find this useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whys this question so popular? Are you guys asking him to tell u what dollar figure to be investing in the things he has already recomended? If you are making say 200k+ just invest every you can that does not goto your bills
Old 10-02-2007, 02:12 AM

nice post, this should be good. I'm pretty much completely clueless when it comes to investing so bear with me if you can.

retirement lump sum for 25, 30? 50k, 100k a year taken out? (assuming no income after "retirement") I wouldn't plan to completely stop working but would like to be set, you know, just in case. Even if you can give a ballpark of what you think is roughly enough that would be great.

investing in the things you mentioned - can I do this at my local bank or do I have to go to some sort of a company to do this? (havn't read the articles yet so if it's mentioned there forgive me)

know anything about international banking/swiss accounts? I'm looking for something outside of canada where I don't specifically need an address.

thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im not even convinced that real estate is a better investment that the stock market. This article ]http://ezinearticles.com/?Returns-on-Real-Estate-vs.-Stock-Market&id=639801[/url] explains that real estate returned 12% from the period 1926-current while stocks returned 11% in the same period (standard cera used for long term comparions in finance).

[/ QUOTE ]

you are forgetting about the much greater ability to leverage in real estate. if i buy an investment property with 20% down you can multiply my return on what % the house appreciated by about 5 since i didn't have to pay cash for the house. there are a lot of other benefits you get as well.

as far as it being as passive, no, but the better return, yes
Old 10-02-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im not even convinced that real estate is a better investment that the stock market. This article ]http://ezinearticles.com/?Returns-on-Real-Estate-vs.-Stock-Market&id=639801[/url] explains that real estate returned 12% from the period 1926-current while stocks returned 11% in the same period (standard cera used for long term comparions in finance).

[/ QUOTE ]

you are forgetting about the much greater ability to leverage in real estate. if i buy an investment property with 20% down you can multiply my return on what % the house appreciated by about 5 since i didn't have to pay cash for the house. there are a lot of other benefits you get as well.

as far as it being as passive, no, but the better return, yes

[/ QUOTE ]

i gave an example of how much more you can make in real estate using leverage in this investing post I made:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...page=&vc=1
Old 10-02-2007, 02:25 AM

snowbank, I love RE and plan to have investment props myself, but you cannot compare it to investing in index funds - its apples and oranges (and u should have both anyways).

Also snowbank's link is a v good read
Old 10-02-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
snowbank, I love RE and plan to have investment props myself, but you cannot compare it to investing in index funds - its apples and oranges (and u should have both anyways).

Also snowbank's link is a v good read

[/ QUOTE ]

matthew,

i totally agree, i was just replying to the part where he mentioned he thought stocks might be better than real estate. i don't agree or disagree, it will all depend on the person and what's best for them. just wanted to point out the leverage side of real estate which heavily tips the scale on returns compared to buying with cash.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:25 AM

Good post, one thing though:

[ QUOTE ]
This brings us to index investing and ETFs (exchange traded finds).

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone know the equivalent of these in the UK?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:29 AM

Its funny, when this poker thing dies out, I wonder how many players will try and convert to trading and the like to build a steady income.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:32 AM

womble, we can do the same over here, we can invest in the whichever index fund we want, or invest in ETFs. the main difference is over in the US vanguard is apparently the best site to invest with, whereas despite loads of searching i am yet to discover the best site. i quite like www.iii.co.uk.

if i can ill try and track down a site an IFA told me was very good, i made a post naming it months ago but dont know if ill be able to find it.