Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 01:02 AM

Default Re: My First College Interview

Well, I wouldn't worry about the class/overnight thing. I doubt they have students analyze every student who comes to stay the night.

As for the interview, try to have a personality and provide honest,sincere repsonses to the questions. Don't provide answers that you think they want to hear.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 AM

alright, but one thing im really wondering about is if saying im a successful poker player is a good thing or bad thing, and if so should i say how much i've won if not asked. obviously this somewhat depends on how i feel the interviewer will react, but wondering if this is a good/bad thing in general.

pretty much every school im applying to that isn't a UC is pretty much math/science or engineering specific so i can assume the people interviewing will at least somewhat get the mathematical aspect
Old 10-01-2007, 01:06 AM

It depends on the questions you are asked.

I wouldn't force it out, and I definitely wouldn't tell them how much you make/lose.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends on the questions you are asked.

I wouldn't force it out, and I definitely wouldn't tell them how much you make/lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, but mainly the question im worried about is extracurricular activity. i do stuff outside of school that i can talk about but poker has taken up a bit of time that is hard to otherwise explain, so not sure if this is something to bring up. if i do bring it up i dont want it to sound like im a degen, but dont want to sound like im bragging about money, so im not sure how far i should go with it etc.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:10 AM

Well, If you're still in high school, that means you've been playing while you're under 18, which is illegal.

I'm not so sure how admitting to illegal activity would go over in an interview.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:13 AM

yeah, thats my concern, but on the other hand i can potentially spin it to show that i am responsible with money, have a real world math skill, can deal with stress, etc. not sure if this outweighs potential bad
Old 10-01-2007, 01:17 AM

well, that's something you're going to have to decide for yourself, but I would imagine it's not going to go over well.

Surely, you've done some community service, club, sport that you could talk about. Even if it's not a big part of your life, you can make it sound like it is.

Basically, they're going to sit you down, and then tell you to tell them about yourself. Then they'll ask you some questions that force you to analyze a situation and tell how you'd handle it. That's pretty much how all interviews go.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:28 AM

alright, ill think about that, thanks for all the help, hopefully i'll get into a few schools i want to go to so i can have to problem of choosing one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
alright, but one thing im really wondering about is if saying im a successful poker player is a good thing or bad thing, and if so should i say how much i've won if not asked. obviously this somewhat depends on how i feel the interviewer will react, but wondering if this is a good/bad thing in general.

pretty much every school im applying to that isn't a UC is pretty much math/science or engineering specific so i can assume the people interviewing will at least somewhat get the mathematical aspect

[/ QUOTE ]

dont talk about poker. srsly.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:54 AM

don't mention poker imo.

these interviews aren't going to have nearly as much of an effect on whether or not you get in as you think you would. all the interviews i did were basically some administrative person sucking your nuts to convince you to goto their school. granted, these were schools i was well qualified for, but the point of a lot of these are for them to brag about their school. colleges need you to apply/attend their university.

try not to come across as a weirdo/cocky/arrogant and you should do fine