Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Problems in heaven...

Hey all, first time being OP I hope this has not been covered.

First of all in heaven, it seems there is no reason to do anything. I mean, everything is eternal so there is no reason to dedicate your eternity to something. If you have literally an eternity everyone in heaven would eventually become expert at everything there is to do. Wouldn't it get boring spending an eternity doing (or not doing) anything especially when mastery is inevitable? So it seems everything would always come back to what you did when you were human and living on earth and you would constantly be judged and graded on what you did here.

Anyway, I'm not sure I would want an eternal experience in hell Or heaven...

I think reincarnation would be much better because then you would get another go at life. Plus you would get to see life in different times in human history.

Anyone agree/disagree?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Problems in heaven...

never thought of that problem. i really dont believe in a heaven anyway, so i guess thats why.

i guess more people concern themselves with getting to heaven with their lives on earth, and god will do the rest once there.

i also think reincarnation would be sweet, it would definitely keep you interested and occupied. but say that reincarnation is true, i have the fear of eventually having a horrible and painful death. being reincarnated an infinite number of times will eventually lead to this outcome in some way. i would almost rather live one life to its fullest and avoid this outcome.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 PM

Seems presumptuous to assume an "afterlife" would be something easily understandable or reducible to an earthly description.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems presumptuous to assume an "afterlife" would be something easily understandable or reducible to an earthly description.

[/ QUOTE ]

true. i was always hoping that when i die i become like Q from star trek next gen. sounds geeky, but it gets the point across.

the ability to go anywhere in the universe and see the billions of galaxys out there would be my 1 wish.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They had no problem doing it for hell. Why not heaven?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:16 AM

The main problems as I see them:

-no rampant sex most likely
-tons of people I dislike
-probably not that much weed

Seriously though, I always felt that heaven could not exist because if someone you love dearly did not fit the criteria, he or she would not be there with you, but would be suffering in hell. How exactly am I supposed to live a blissful eternity knowing that?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all, first time being OP I hope this has not been covered.

First of all in heaven, it seems there is no reason to do anything. I mean, everything is eternal so there is no reason to dedicate your eternity to something. If you have literally an eternity everyone in heaven would eventually become expert at everything there is to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are thinking of "heaven" as having Time, as if it were the same as being here. There is no time on the Other Side, or space, obviously.

(Unless, of course, you'd like there to seem to be Time, and then there would be. Or anything else you need to adjust.)

I don't think there is any way to understand that kind of existence in these limited phsyical containers. But we're going to like it - everyone over there says so.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They had no problem doing it for hell. Why not heaven?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I think of Heaven as the perpetual orgasm.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But doesn't that make it much more likely that advancing from life to afterlife would mean having your soul travel to a state with different boundaries/laws/rules/physics/etc?

If this is the case then can we, as humans, understand heaven using finite/infinite terms?