Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 08-10-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Should I slow down on 5th street?

My opponent did not seem to care that i was betting trip kings face up on 4th, should I switch to call down mode on 5th?
Tournament - - Level IV (60/120), Ante 12, Bring-In 18 (converter)

Seat 1: 796
Seat 2: 1,908
Seat 3: 761
Hero: 1,242
Seat 5: 2,795
Seat 6: 953
Seat 7: 1,205
Seat 8: 2,340

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (4.90 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises

5th Street - (8.45 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Old 08-10-2007, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Should I slow down on 5th street?

Definitely switch to calldown mode unless you fill up. You have told him twice that you have 3 Ks and he doesn't care.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 AM

By the time fifth comes along you've put in more than a third of your stack, and calling down is going to cost you another 25% or so. I'd go ahead and jam, and hope he's clueless.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 AM

I don't think the problem was that he didn't care that you were betting trip Kings face up. The problem was that you didn't care that he was raising your trip Ks with probable trip Aces. I think the cap on 5th is pretty spewy. I would either cap 4th and see if he checks to you on 5th, or just put in one raise on 5th and then call down.....unless you have a good read that says to get all your chips in the middle that is.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:36 AM

I would probably just call 4th and call down from there. If villain doesn't have trips, he is probably way behind. Why tell him you have trips?

As played, I would just call down 5th-7th unless you improve.

I assume this is stud hi only.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 AM

Given villain's 3rd street action of just calling your raise and that seat #7 folded an Ace door card in front of villain, I think it is just as likely villain has Aces over as it is that he has trip Aces on 4th street.

I agree with Poor Lawyer...either cap the betting on 4th street to see what villain does on 5th or play 4th street as you did, just make one raise on 5th street, and call down to river. I actually prefer the latter course of action, inasmuch as it would minimize the dent this is going to make in your stack for the rest of the tournament if he does have trip Aces and it will keep villain in the hand all the way to showdown if all he has is Aces over.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:40 PM

Is this a stud tournament or a HORSE tournament?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:26 PM

Thanks all. I realized that the best play on 5th is call, but was in denial while playing that street. Playing stud hi small buyin tourneys i have gotten used to players jamming against me with small one pair when i have aces, and other "imaginative" plays. The input was helpful.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks all. I realized that the best play on 5th is call, but was in denial while playing that street. Playing stud hi small buyin tourneys i have gotten used to players jamming against me with small one pair when i have aces, and other "imaginative" plays. The input was helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your play on 3rd, 4th, and 5th makes it pretty obvious you have trip kings, so when villain keeps raising you, what can he have?

At later stages of these studaments, everyone always steals with an ace showing and some people will play an ace door card strongly trying to bluff with nothing. Therefore, it is not always a bad play to play a pair strongly against an ace.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:32 PM

If you call down from where you left off and lose you'll have less than 3 bets left, which will be short enough that you'll have to get them in on Third and pray pretty soon thereafter. I'd go ahead and try to get them all in, like 2461Badugi says. Maybe your villain thinks Aces-up is good here.

I prefer capping on Fourth and calling down until you fill, which will leave you with five bets if you lose. Depressing, but not totally screwed.

He's going to show you Jacks full or Aces up more often than Trip Aces or Aces full since he didn't put in more action on Third. You're only drawing bad to one of those hands.

I don't like being in this spot, but calling down leaves you crippled if you're behind and your hand is too good to fold given the action and the random nature of tournament opponents. If you have 15 bets to start then I think you should call down even if you cap Fifth. You'll have enough stack left to mount a rally if you don't win the hand.