Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: ___
Miami (Fla.) 5 55.56%
Louisville (H) 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Table/Seat Selection Examples to Grunch

This thread is intended to be read/done in conjuction with this thread I just wrote on table and seat selection Ozi style. Whether you do the examples before and/or after reading that other thread and how much effort you put into your replies is your call.

So, game on! Its your turn to do some work and practice table and seat selection. Thus this thread is for the purpose of providing some real life examples for you, the reader, to work through.

Grunching of each example is preferred. Provide as much information and discussion as you think necessary.Use any of the information provided in the example. You may reassess your grunch once you’ve read other responses and you may grunch before and/or after you read that table/seat selection post.

FWIW I haven’t deliberately included any hidden traps or tricks in the examples and some will be obvious, some will be standard and some may be unclear. You have different amount of content and information available to you (no datamining at stars) in the various examples. Such is life, deal with it. Also the font sizes of any text I typed should not be intended to mean anything other than I couldn’t be bothered working out how to change default fontsize using paint.

Now, The stats that you see on screen for each seat are
Column1……..….Column2
--------………….------------
VPIP ………..…..TotalAggression
PFR…………….….NumberOfHands
ColdCall%age….W2SD% (only for P-Stars shots)

Green = Fishy, Red = Danger? Orange = Inbetween

Example 1 – “Your turn to do some table and seat assessment”

In these these scenarios, use the any relevant information provided to
a. Judge the quality of the each table
b. Grade each seat or group of seats as to how good/bad/ugly you think the seat is
c. Also consider how good seats are between tables (eg the best seat at table X may not be as good as the best 3 seats at table Y).

The intent here is NOT to say “I choose Seat X to get best position on the obvious fish. mkythxbai” because in the real world you hardly ever get seat X so you need to consider which seats you would take if offered, which ones are borderline and which just aren’t worth it…the intent instead is to get you to think about whether or not each seat is worth sitting at both in isolation and in relation to other available tables

Example 1A:

EDIT: So I decided to go ahead and create separate posts for each example.

REPLIES TO THE FIRST POST SHOULD BE POSTED IN THIS THREAD..FOR THE OTHER THREADS, SEE BELOW
Here are the links

Example 1B - Assess the Tables/Seats

Example 2A - Select Thy Seats

Example 2B - Select Thy Seats

Goodluck

Ozi
Old 07-28-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Table/Seat Selection Examples to Grunch

Ozi - very original!
Haven't read your guide yet I'll give it a shot...

I-A: Buffalo > Ranger > Azure. Specifically Buffalo seat 4 and Ranger seat 7 are juicy

I-B: not as much info available her but Gunlod > Rimimtto 2 > Havina

2-A: sit me down at Sirona

2-B: best option...go back to FT; but if I have to I'll sit at Topaz - actually if the tables look like this you're better off sitting at an empty table and creating a game!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:14 PM

FWIW It has been suggested that the examples would be better separated into separate posts because having everything in the same post could give to much cross talk.

this is very valid but lets see how things go. Im probably not going to edit this post but if anyone thinks that any individual examples require a separate thread (which may not occur immediately but could later) then go ahead and start a new one by linking to this one and maybe even summarising any posts already made on that example. Myself or Wookie can get the image links as required.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW It has been suggested that the examples would be better separated into separate posts because having everything in the same post could give to much cross talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

One other point that I'd bring up would be that on a few of your FTP tables, the action is obscuring the chip counts for one or more players. Especially when we're talking about the biggest donor at the table, how many chips he has in front of him can be a huge factor in whether I sit there or not.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:27 PM

Harv, good point...chip sizes do count and I was hoping people would use them in the examples where appropriate. Most should be viewable but if you cant see their stack (eg Seat 7 Serafin) then assume 15-20BB stack.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:29 PM

set one

easy table to play at is Azure ... it features a couple of fish, and only has one (by stats) challenging aggressive player (the rest look like standard ABC players)

Buffalo is probably the worst ... table too many aggressive players which will get you too call down too many weakish hands (I would not play at this table)

Ranger looks OK ... has a couple of good fish and a few TAGish players ... I would only play at this table is I was able to get seat 7 or 2 (7 being the best ... two guys on your left that will make iso raising easy, and stealing blinds when given the chance, and a big tard on your right which will make cold calling OTB attractive)

on table AZURE ... i would really like seat 3 (1/ removes probably the toughest player at the table and gives me position on a couple of tards and the two guys on my left are steal targets)

seat 7 is probably the worst seat at the table ... having the big tard on your left will make raising hard (along with cbets)

on table BUFFALO ... as said (i wouldn't play at the table) - but seat 3 would be alright (two guys on the left are easy steal targets0
Old 07-29-2007, 06:29 AM

okay, so you guys who are reading this and the other thread who arent having a crack at these examples are really not getting full value. Noobs/Lurkers, please dont be intimidated or afraid to reply....give it a gogogo. The rest of you, just do it bros.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:10 PM

I can only read 3 of the tables but I've already confused myself with these anyway so here goes. Of the three tables I think Texas Ranger offers the most potential, Buffalo and Azure I should probably play if I can get one of the preferred seats but would want to keep an eye on the lobby for a better table to open up.

Seats I would take at Texas Ranger : 3,4,6,7 Borderline: 1,2,5,8,9 No seat looks bad enough to pass on.

On Azure I would take 1,2,9 Possibly would take 3,4,8 Would likely pass on: 5,6,7 Probably not such a good table foe a seat position but the table overall stats total is pretty good so maybe worth a try.

Buffalo: Best are 3,4,5 pass on 1,2,6,7,8,9 If I do sit at this table and it plays as hard as it looks like it might I will keep looking for a better table.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:21 AM

question: is it possible to see the stats of people you have stats on already on stars, without sitting at the table?
Cause for me they only show up when I posted the BB.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
question: is it possible to see the stats of people you have stats on already on stars, without sitting at the table?
Cause for me they only show up when I posted the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously it is possible but you need to have PAHUD setup correctly. I run the latest beta and have "Use the Memory Scanner (allows for observed hands)" selected. This doesnt mean that I can datamine observed hands but it might be the reason I can see the players at the table and hence get stats to display.

edit: Those settings are under PokerSites->Pokerstars. Actually Im using v1.17.8 beta and I also have the handhistory directory where stars writes hands in the "Hand History Files Directories" box (youll need to temporarily change to "Use HAnd History Files" option to be able to add folders to this box. goodluck.