Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Trip report: weekend play at the Wynn & Bellagio 15-30 games

[ QUOTE ]

I really don't think we should be criticizing the way people play when they post trip reports. Leave that for the strategy forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats why 2+2 was created, so people can discuss strategy and become better players. You got to keep that in mind, even if its not your specific goal it is still the goal of others. No sweat, as I pointed out thats why I love trip reports with just a tiny bit of poker.. they tend to be a lot more fun to read (although this report was written really good, so well that the bad strategy could be ignored even though it makes me cringe).
Old 05-14-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was expecting mahogany and teak everywhere by the descriptions, the reality disappointed me. The chairs were old and certainly nothing fancy, the tables were standard, albeit with reasonably maintained felt,

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you berate Wynn for the chairs, which are probably the newest of the big rooms, yet no mention of the worn-out and broken pieces of junk in perma-recline at the Bellagio? No mention of the Bell's nasty, crusty felt caused by years of spilled drinks because they have no drinkholders, not even the plastic things?
Old 05-14-2007, 05:11 PM

Fantastic trip report. Very enjoyable read.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The Malaysian transexual raises my blind. I blood up and reraise at her funky ass"

I HOWLED at this. Excellent report btw, you can ignore TT. He's mostly just annoying a lot of the time in here. Hahahha, I'm still laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, good trip report. Yeah, some of the strategy wasn't what I would employ at the table, but last I checked this wasn't a strategy forum.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:14 PM

TT & Yourface; your comments will receive propper meditation, and I sincerely appreciate you both taking the time to make them.

Yourface, with regards to the comments regarding preflop hand selection, I agree with your opinion that they are generally dumpable hands when taken strictly at value. My decision to play them was usually based on the implied equity of getting paid off by hyper aggressive villains, combined with a total willingness to dump them if the flop gave me pause (btw not trying to argue with good advice here, just trying to make my intentions clear, questionable tho they may be).

Next time will def include more paragraphs as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was expecting mahogany and teak everywhere by the descriptions, the reality disappointed me. The chairs were old and certainly nothing fancy, the tables were standard, albeit with reasonably maintained felt,

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you berate Wynn for the chairs, which are probably the newest of the big rooms, yet no mention of the worn-out and broken pieces of junk in perma-recline at the Bellagio? No mention of the Bell's nasty, crusty felt caused by years of spilled drinks because they have no drinkholders, not even the plastic things?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha point totally taken. the only reason i ragged on the wynn was because it was always described as in these amazing, glowing terms. my dad fawned over it when i mentioned i was playing there. so to show up and see what i felt was really a average-to-good room, not a great room, earned a bit of bitchy commentary from me.

the bellagio, well, i had a different set of expectations, thats all.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha point totally taken. the only reason i ragged on the wynn was because it was always described as in these amazing, glowing terms. my dad fawned over it when i mentioned i was playing there. so to show up and see what i felt was really a average-to-good room, not a great room, earned a bit of bitchy commentary from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What made me go ?huh? was your expectation of mahogany woodwork, it was as if you expected a law library motif at the Wynn the way I read it, I thought that was a bit odd. The Wynn is either the best looking, or the second best looking room in town depending on your perceptions (some people like the Venetian better, personally I think they really like the open space not the decor).
Old 05-14-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My decision to play them was usually based on the implied equity of getting paid off by hyper aggressive villains, combined with a total willingness to dump them if the flop gave me pause (btw not trying to argue with good advice here, just trying to make my intentions clear, questionable tho they may be).

[/ QUOTE ]

This decision process has better value in NL games where you are playing for stacks, rather than limit games where you will at a - equity advantage the majority of times. You cant make up the implied odds you need the majority of times with such greatly dominated hands.

Actually come to think of it, a lot of your hands look as if you were an NL player playing a limit game, have you read Ed Miller's book yet? The strategy within is perfectly suited for these games.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Good report swope.

A lot of peeps here seem to really have trouble grasping exactly what mid limits in Vegas are like. You do a pretty good job explaining it, though I wish I could find a Wynn $15 game like that(though the $8-16 description fits exactly what my perception of it is). Not as loose and aggressive as Los Angeles games, but not unbeatable either.

I agree with you about staying somewhere that does not require $200 a night and a number of hours to qualify at that rate. I stay at IP a lot because its easy to walk to Mirage, Venetian, and Bellagio, and also TI or Ballys when a decent rate is available there. Often I am paying $70-80 a night on Friday and Saturday night with no qualification requirement.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This decision process has better value in NL games where you are playing for stacks, rather than limit games where you will at a - equity advantage the majority of times. You cant make up the implied odds you need the majority of times with such greatly dominated hands.

Actually come to think of it, a lot of your hands look as if you were an NL player playing a limit game, have you read Ed Miller's book yet? The strategy within is perfectly suited for these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read Ed Miller's book years ago, probably long before I was really able to properly understand his points, I will reread I think.

Regarding my decision making process; Im first and formost a PLO player these days, and a lot of my habits seem to drift over from that headspace, which I have no doubt is -EV. Truth be told, Im an absolutely terrible NLHE player and have never been profitable at it. Clearly I have to retool my strategies for LHE.

Re: Wynn room, I simply had totally wrongheaded expectations. From what I saw, it *is* the best looking room in Vegas, barring some of the really high end semi private spaces, and although its unfair of me to rip on them for not living up to my fantasy, I would certainly have preferred the law library motif with fewer frat boys railbirding me while their girlfriends went to pick up their comped tickets to Spamalot, so bitch I shall as its cheaper than therapy.