Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Career Mess-Ups

[ QUOTE ]
She got offered to do the nightly news on CBS and took it, I guess thinking that because she was popular on the Today show she'd make it big in serious news.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the huge salary increase that came along with the move?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:26 AM

Katie Couric is a great pick. I've wondered why she made that decision. I have only seen her on the evening news once. Didn't she sit on a desk or something? I'm pretty sure she was sitting on a desk as she talked into the camera.

Here's what disappoints me about her. She was really great on the Today Show and had a lot of respect. Next thing I know she's involved in this embarrassing situation with plagiarizing a piece from the Wall Street Journal and reading the lifted script in a video essay as if she is talking about herself. So in my mind she deserves what is happening to her. How do you pretend that a borrowed piece is about yourself? What kind of journalism is this?
Old 05-13-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty big news in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I would go that far. Interesting, though. Couric only sporadically cultivated the mannered gravitas Americans seem to like in their news anchors when she was back at the Today Show, and the show itself was definitely all about being cute and upbeat. It could be fairly sickening, and Couric did a big part of the cheerleading. Now sure why anyone ever thought of her seriously. That sort of thing never seemed to be important to her until suddenly it was everything. Bizarre fit.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:18 AM

I think you're right, at times the Today Show could get a little sickening with the banter and giggles. But there was an honesty and ease with Couric that, well at least for some of us women, seemed like something we could appreciate.

I think CBS saw her as having mass appeal that would automatically translate to the evening crowd. But I guess not a lot of Americans are getting their news from TV sources anymore, and only old people are tuning in. It's a dying news form. Apparently, morning TV is a whole different beast from evening TV. Anyway, really dumb decision on the part of CBS. Katie Couric will walk away with millions.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Possibly not a career mess up as such but I am sure it has harmed future earnings due to loss of reputation.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, I wasn't even thinking of Bush and Blair when I made this thread but yeah excellent picks. Something tells me historians aren't going to go easy on these two.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're right, at times the Today Show could get a little sickening with the banter and giggles. But there was an honesty and ease with Couric that, well at least for some of us women, seemed like something we could appreciate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you feel at ease with the way they would devote so much time to the idiots outside the studio shrieking and squealing and waving banners about whatever backwater burg they were on temporary furlough from whenever the camera came on them? And then pretend to be so incredibly delighted by it, every time, day after day for years? I didn't. It gave me the willies. Felt super honest, and sure put me at ease. I've now been psychologically bullet-proofed for the coming zombie invasion.

[ QUOTE ]
I think CBS saw her as having mass appeal that would automatically translate to the evening crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

That strikes me as such a bizarre notion. Could you see Peter Jennings or Walter Cronkite basing their career on being tirelessly vapidly bubbly? WTF.

[ QUOTE ]
But I guess not a lot of Americans are getting their news from TV sources anymore, and only old people are tuning in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite there, but getting there.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a dying news form.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, morning TV is a whole different beast from evening TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Less and less so every year, but there's still a difference.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, really dumb decision on the part of CBS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
Katie Couric will walk away with millions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Her Royal Perkiness well enough I suppose, but who cares really? She's rich already and brings little to the table that a polished 19 year old can't. I can't say I'm interested in her next projects.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Possibly not a career mess up as such but I am sure it has harmed future earnings due to loss of reputation.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, I wasn't even thinking of Bush and Blair when I made this thread but yeah excellent picks. Something tells me historians aren't going to go easy on these two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it'll bother Bush. He's not much of a reader.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Did you feel at ease with the way they would devote so much time to the idiots outside the studio shrieking and squealing and waving banners about whatever backwater burg they were on temporary furlough from whenever the camera came on them? And then pretend to be so incredibly delighted by it, every time, day after day for years? I didn't. It gave me the willies. Felt super honest, and sure put me at ease. I've now been psychologically bullet-proofed for the coming zombie invasion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought she seemed at ease and not as big a phony as say Kathy Lee Gifford, nor as edgy or provocative as Rosie O'Donnell. She was fine doing celebrity interviews, cooking segments and women's health issues. She was really good at that stuff. She started to become more phony to me the last couple years on the Today Show when I noticed that she suddenly started dressing and acting a little different, you know, less "down to earth" (can you be a billionaire and still be down to earth?) and more high fashion rich socialite.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think CBS saw her as having mass appeal that would automatically translate to the evening crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

That strikes me as such a bizarre notion. Could you see Peter Jennings or Walter Cronkite basing their career on being tirelessly vapidly bubbly? WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I thought it was a dumb move myself. If they had asked me I would have told them it was pretty dumb. It's not even that she's vapidly bubbly. It's that she doesn't have the right tone and demeanor and she has too much celebrity coming into it. The American evening news audience doesn't want warm and congenial. It wants serious and business-like. She hadn't sat behind a news desk in years and none of us were going to buy it. The format was wrong. It was WRONG WRONG WRONG. There were any number of potential news anchors out there to go with, they just went with a ridiculous choice.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought she seemed at ease and not as big a phony as say Kathy Lee Gifford

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh, well, Gifford is in a class of her own that she created and will forever rule over. NOBODY is as big a phony as she is. Not quite fair going to her for much of a comparison to anything human.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I thought it was a dumb move myself. If they had asked me I would have told them it was pretty dumb. It's not even that she's vapidly bubbly. It's that she doesn't have the right tone and demeanor

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I said. She's doesn't have the right tone and demeanor. The one she does have is vapid and bubbly.

[ QUOTE ]
and she has too much celebrity coming into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure. If she had celebrity of a more serious kind, I dunno. It's just that the celebrity she had wasn't serious at all. They tried to transplant her as if the "news" she was doing was really news. It wasn't. Not at all. And everything else was even further from that.

[ QUOTE ]
The American evening news audience doesn't want warm and congenial. It wants serious and business-like. She hadn't sat behind a news desk in years and none of us were going to buy it. The format was wrong. It was WRONG WRONG WRONG. There were any number of potential news anchors out there to go with, they just went with a ridiculous choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I like the munchkin, and would want her to be my Bubble-Yum or even Slim Jim (eat me!) spokesman if I owned either of those brands. As a news anchor, I'd feel just as comfortable with Carrot Top, at least now that he's on roids and taking himself more seriously.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I like the munchkin, and would want her to be my Bubble-Yum or even Slim Jim (eat me!) spokesman if I owned either of those brands. As a news anchor, I'd feel just as comfortable with Carrot Top, at least now that he's on roids and taking himself more seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Carrot Top huh? Wow. I hope she doesn't read these forums.