Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 02-19-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: High-end Dining: Expectations and Reviews

I'm open to and eat at both, but prefer the 'best-in-class' to the more 'experimental' dining, for example Daniel > WD-40. To me, Service is clearly the differentiating factor btw two great restaurants, once you get above a certain level of french food, or spanish, or italian, or chinese, it becomes very hard to differentiate btw the quality of a Jean-George, a Daniel, a Bouley, a Robuchon, a Keller, etc, unless you are a true gourmand. Decor is also a factor, but again at these places they are all done up so that may come down to personal taste - do you like Cafe Des Artistes or a per se, or the Four Seasons.

Daniel was the best dining experience I've ever had [2x.], whether in NYC, LV, LA, Philly, Barca or elsewhere. Marcus, the host, remembered me when we entered from one prior visit, knew exactly why we were there w/o being told again [birthday], the service was beyond exquisite, the waiters were incredibly attentive and yet invisible, they could write you a book on each dish on the menu. The food is rated 2nd best in all of NYC by Zagat's, so I'll just agree that it is flawless, the sommelier can answer any question about wine {I've been with oenophiles} and the dessert is simply the best I've ever tasted.
While the decor is the best in town, the service really makes it stand out. They must have like 4-6 people per table, not including everyone you don't see, of course, and never intrusive. Obviously, you can sit there all night and not feel hurried in any sense [not true of some places!].
Bonus: As we were approaching the coat-check, we met Daniel Boulud and told him how much we loved our dinners. He took us to the bar and wanted to know all about it, and had a drink with us before returning to the kitchen.

Other faves: Alain Ducasse, Le Bec-fin, Drolma.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:06 PM

For not too expensive restaurant that has great standard I recommend this one in Oslo. Everything is perfect (or at least used to be, haven't been in Oslo for a year):

Dinner
Old 02-19-2007, 07:22 PM

I don't think my lunch $$ is gonna be enough for you to get into these places, [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

How excited are you about finding a place that is under $75 but still delicious? Whenever I hear you talk about this topic I kinda get the feeling that part of what you're in it for is the "status" of having been to "impressive" restaurants.

On the other hand, I get the feeling someone like El D is interested very much in both. He wants to get cheap awesome food, medium expensive awesome food and the uber high status food as well. Is the deal simply that you already pwn at cheap good food and medium expensive good food?

Yugoslav
Who simply wants to be good at medium expensive good food, lol.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- I expect them to call me and FFK a cab should we require (currently don't have any friends that appreciate this level of dining).

I have yet to be disappointed at $75/plate...but that's only been about 6-7 times in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

i honestly could not think of a place to go that would be this expensive - or an occasion. why do you and ffk go to places this expensive? is the food that much better? and i don't mean this to be a hijack but i'd like anyone with an explanation to answer. i think the food when we're paying ~$50 a person (predrinks etc) is fantastic, but i couldn't imagine eating enough to warrant it being more money.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:32 PM

One thing that I think a lot of high end joints lose track of is that I expect to be full at the end of dinner.

I lived in New Orleans for 4 years and one of my favorite things about the top places in NO is that you always left stuffed.

In NY, a few times I've stopped for a $2 slice of pizza on my way home from a $100 dinner.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How excited are you about finding a place that is under $75 but still delicious? Whenever I hear you talk about this topic I kinda get the feeling that part of what you're in it for is the "status" of having been to "impressive" restaurants.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can obviously find excellent food <$75. But still the best restaurants I have been to have been more expensive, but has something to do with the total atmosphere, more than simply the food. If it would be available for $20, then great. It is also a matter of priorities, save $3k on your purchases of car, furniture etc. and give you and your Mrs. some nights you will remember for life instead, it is much more happiness/$ in my opinion. Your pretentiousness radar should beep more on expensive watches and such, a douchebag is more likely to spend his money on that.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:42 PM

yugo,

i like all manner of food, and am defnitely not in to high end dining for any sort of checklist type behavior. many of my favorite restaurants are in the $15-$30 total food bill range. this just isn't a thread about those places. i enjoy going out to these high-end places for splurges, special occasions, random fridays if i'm lucky, etc, but as i said, they probably only happen a few times a year. the rest of the year i eat dinner most nights too, and usually even enjoy it.

fluff,

i hope you find answers to your question in this thread, as it was in part the question asked in the OP. i think we've seen a few common answers: service, ingredients, knowledge, details, food quality, preparation quality, uniqueness, to be shocked, entertained, etc. hopefully more answers from more people as we go along.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limon,

[ QUOTE ]
when you leave spago or ivy you pretty much feel like you got what you paid for it was worth it but not transcendent

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that when I go to a nice restaurant I want to be blown away, LA is not completely bereft of restaurants that can be transcendent, the two you cited are examples of old standards that are simply solid. Restaurants that can make me say "holy [censored]" in LA would include: Melisse, Patina, Grace, and Diaghilev. Last week I went to Jar on Beverly and it absolutely knocked my socks off, but I had relatively low expectations.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, patina and grace are excellent, campanile and aoc as well, easy 9 out of 10 jar i would give 8.5. but i cant really say i've had a 10 in l.a. again places like gotham and babbo are just on another level. incredible creativity and all the little extras that fit perfectly w/ the meal.no 10's for me in vegas either but i have yet to visit joel rubichon.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i honestly could not think of a place to go that would be this expensive - or an occasion. why do you and ffk go to places this expensive? is the food that much better? and i don't mean this to be a hijack but i'd like anyone with an explanation to answer. i think the food when we're paying ~$50 a person (predrinks etc) is fantastic, but i couldn't imagine eating enough to warrant it being more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

To get that Nirvana-moment where everything with the company, locale, food, wine is perfect, the 5 seconds where you realize how lucky you are to be living and how wonderful life at its best is.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- I expect them to call me and FFK a cab should we require (currently don't have any friends that appreciate this level of dining).

I have yet to be disappointed at $75/plate...but that's only been about 6-7 times in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the $75 number is including starters and dessert, not just the entree. In which case you have been to plenty of places that qualify...