Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Project: Sailboat Restoration

Just curious if anybody has any experience in restoring old sailboats? I have grown up on the water and always enjoyed boating. Albeit most of my time has been on waverunners, cabin cruisers, and center consol fishing boats...

I don't have an extreme amount of disposible income, but i think it would be a fun hobby and maybe can resale for more maybe a little profit or at least breakeven. This of course after I get a few fun short runs (maybe Key West the farthest). It would also be docked in the water which I know can have some serious downsides.

Here are a few boats i along the lines of what i would be interested in. 20 - 30 ft. Starting price around 1k-5k and maybe put another 1k-3k in improvements.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/boa/232594883.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/boa/230439582.html

This won't get underway for at least a month or so as i over analyze all big purchases and probably will create some spreadsheets. But i figuring buying during the "winter" would also make the boats a little less expensive...

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Project: Sailboat Restoration

I've helped restore some pretty trashed out boats.

1 - Whatever you think you'll pay to restore it, double or triple it.

2 - If you aren't an expert, find one to do a thorough inspection and sea trial, and make sure it's someone you can trust. Marina communities are pretty incestuous places, and there's all kinds of scams and you-wash-my-back arrangements going on between boat salespeople and inspectors.

3 - Make sure you know what slip rental will run you and add it to your expenses.

4 - Always remember the old saying, "A boat is a hole in the water to pour money into."

5 - They're also a lot of fun. Good luck. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:42 PM

1. I have heard this so much, scared me away from ever trying this with a car!!!

2. I am by no means by any stretch of the imagination on the most perfect day an expert on anything except scratchin my own butt, so ya, a thorough inspection would be a great start.

3. Slip rental = floating behind a family member's home (free), on a friend's unused lift (maybe beer), or worst case sceneario at a marina.

4. Bermuda triangle size hole!

5. Did you see those boats i chose? Am i way out of line thinking i could tackle those styles?!

Thanks!!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:41 AM

The US 27 is the better choice of the two--bigger, faster, more of a name brand with a better resale.

You would need an extensive collection of woodworking tools to do an interior restoration.

Sailboat fittings are not cheap--make a list of what you will need prior to purchase. And sails are not cheap either...check them out pretty good.

You may consider doing the project in stages--get it seaworthy, then do the finish work.

If you have the time and resources, I can think of no better project. You probably would not want to sell it after you get it fixed up.

You may also not care to ever get in another motor boat.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:51 PM

i agree too with getting a boat i can "grow into" and the brand name boat probably is smarter too...

hopefully the woodworking for the cabin area won't be too intense as that isn't a specialty of mine.

painting, swabing decks and getting the sails/lines all in order is more around my speed...