Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 05-09-2006, 06:25 AM

Default I have to call this right? Was I too aggressive on my draw?

$33 Deepstack on Stars. I'm top 9 in chips with 27 or less left.

PokerStars Game #4879314111: Tournament #24233287, $30+$3 Hold'em Pot Limit - Level VII (150/300) - 2006/05/09 - 06:07:03 (ET)
Table '24233287 2' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Mr.Bill9 (9960 in chips)
Seat 3: tsekwa (25590 in chips)
Seat 4: __2cb__ (12820 in chips)
Seat 5: BadgerPro (35592 in chips)
Seat 6: Yesbo (26340 in chips)
Seat 7: thesilkworm (25398 in chips)
Seat 8: Batmanian (6300 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 9: snake555 (25082 in chips)
Yesbo: posts small blind 150
thesilkworm: posts big blind 300
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to thesilkworm [9c 8c]
Batmanian: folds
snake555: folds
Mr.Bill9: folds
tsekwa: folds
__2cb__: folds
BadgerPro: raises 750 to 1050
Yesbo: folds
thesilkworm: calls 750
*** FLOP *** [6d Jc Tc]
thesilkworm: bets 900
BadgerPro: raises 1800 to 2700
thesilkworm: raises 7650 to 10350
BadgerPro: raises 22950 to 33300

1) Is my call pre-flop ok? I figured with the stacks so deep it seemed fair enough.

2) I led out with a weak looking bet, looking to get raised so I could re-raise over the top and push him off all but the best hands (JJ,TT,66,JT). Highly questionable strategy, yes?

3) Do I have to call the last re-re-raise, knowing that I am racing against most hands (I had less than 14k left to call)?

4) What do you think BadgerPro has when he pushes me all in?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:32 AM

Default Re: I have to call this right? Was I too aggressive on my draw?

You'd have to murder me for me to fold this. That being said, Badger has 66 at worst.

And nice job Badger, didn't realize you were dominating that while deep in the 10/1 at the same time.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:36 AM

I make a weak-looking bet on the flop with intention to re-raise all-in. You need to see all 5 cards in order for you to be coinflip / small favorite against most possible hands. Call the push - you got an open-ended SFD, for god's sake - this is THE flop you're playing this type of hand for in the first place.

P.S. Be the pusher, not the caller.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I make a weak-looking bet on the flop with intention to re-raise all-in. You need to see all 5 cards in order for you to be coinflip / small favorite against most possible hands. Call the push - you got an open-ended SFD, for god's sake - this is THE flop you're playing this type of hand for in the first place.

P.S. Be the pusher, not the caller.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was Pot Limit.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:00 AM

I'm not sure about the call pre flop. With his stack you definately have the implied odds if you make your hand but you also have reverse odds to get knocked out. 98 is problematic when TJ comes. This makes a straight draw for anyone with KQ, AK, AQ. This will only end in tears for you. Also the straight possibility when 98 hits will be obvious and you might not get paid even if your hand is good. I'd be much more inclined to call here with 45, 56, 78.

On the flop since it's pot limit I'd check raise. I'd like to say I'd fold after getting the kind of heat he's showing but I can't be sure I would [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]). Mimimum your up against is AA, KK or QQ which your only a small favourite against TT and JJ are strong favourites over your draw. So the correct play would be to fold but I can't say for sure I'd be able to do it with such a prize on offer.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:07 AM

Check-raise... and then fold when he comes over the top again (if he does)?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:47 AM

Your line looks good. After he 4 bets you, you're getting something like 7 to 3 on your money. I call. You're like a 58/42 dog to a set and a 50/50 against JT. Only two big clubs have you crushed as ~72/28 dog. Folding this after putting in 40% of your money is awful.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

4) What do you think BadgerPro has when he pushes me all in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I guess QcKc by your post?

Once we call preflop, and get this flop, we want it all in if possible.

No errors this hand as far as I can see, except I probably pot the flop bet, but I fastplay everything. Your weak flop bet accomplished our goal, so it can't be too wrong.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 AM

Oh, ya. KQc would be not good.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:02 AM

1) Yeah, you're preflop call was fine. We are pretty deepstacked and you definitly have implied odds if you hit your hand.

2)I'm not sure on the flop here. I guess if I reraise you the pot you can push and get it all in, which is probably what you were hoping for.

However, when I only make it 2700 to go you can only raise and get half your stack in allowing me to make the final raise and put you to the decision. I did this on purpose since I figured if you 3 bet on a flush draw or a hand like AJ I would still have enough FE to get you off of it. While I knew you were a decent player I figured you might reraise me and still fold to a push with 30BBs with some hands.

I think when I made it 2700 you should have just called the extra 1800 realizing that you couldn't get all in and force me into a call/fold only decision. If you missed the turn you could still call a pot sized bet getting 2:1 (correct odds) to the river and still have 30 BB if you wiffed the river also.

3) Yes, you have to call once I put you in. You're at best 50/50 but you're at worst about 3:1 which you're almost getting anyways.

4) Hehe, I know what I had but I'll state what my range would have been:

66, TT, JJ, JT - hands that hit this flop pretty well.

I also do it with QQ, KK, AA especially if I have a club along with it since that takes out some of your possible hands. If I have any of these with out a club there's a chance I dump it but I honestly can't say for sure.

If I have any combination of Ac, Kc, Qc, I'm also going all in with my royal draw.

If this was NL I would have liked your flop play much better since when I reraise you on the flop you can push and have a good chance to get me off of an over pair.