Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 01:27 AM

Default 3bet, top pair, resistance - same thread, new day imo

<font color="green">Villain is 22/18 over 5k hands, is pretty positionally aware , so I 3-bet. I don't have any real tendencies that I've noted from him, so I'm guessing a lot of it is datamined. </font>

Full Tilt Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

UTG: $65.35
MP: $225.60
CO: $207.90
BTN: $410.70
Hero (SB): $214.85
BB: $317.60

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
3 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $7</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $25</font>, BB folds, BTN calls $18

<font color="green">So he calls, I guess his range is like any pair, maybe some suited connector type ish.. not really sure what these guys call with all the time, but it hits this flop a lot imo, I check. But I'd be interested in hearing opinions on if I should bet to protect when I have a real hand.</font>

Flop: ($52) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

<font color="green">Gin on the turn, so I bet 2/3 trying to rep like AK or a light 3-bet that missed. He raises small.. so I dunno if I should shove or call here. I guess call is best so he can shove the rest in if he's bluffing or we can get to showdown or something.</font>

Turn: ($52) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $34</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $90</font>, Hero calls $56

<font color="green">So he shoves, which I expected I guess. I didn't check to check/fold, I checked to let him continue bluffing.. but now that it's here I call. Is this standard (comments on all streets appreciated)?</font>

River: ($232) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $206</font>, Hero calls $99.85 and is All-In
Old 12-01-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: 3bet, top pair, resistance - same thread, new day imo

bet this flop.

if you are going to check flop though then check this turn.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:43 AM

When you call the turn (after checking flop), your hand is pretty much face up as TT-JJ/AQ/KQs right?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:45 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, I dunno what to do. I 3-bet without a plan and it made me feel like a donk.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:48 AM

speed and casper both of you recommend a continuation bet on this flop right? What if the guy was like 40/15 and would constantly float the flop, still autobet?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you call the turn (after checking flop), your hand is pretty much face up as TT-JJ/AQ/KQs right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I don't think I've ever done this with JJ/TT (check flop then bet/call this turn). my range would be AQ/KQ/AK/rarely QQ+. not a huge difference since the best hand we can have is one pair besides QQ that decided to check the flop. but what does our hand being face up matter? not saying it doesn't matter just would like an explanation.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:14 AM

If you're never checking this flop with TT-JJ, then your range after calling the turn range should be AQ/KQ because you shouldnt be checking with QQ+ either.

Thac, I think you should be checking the turn here...The only thing you really dont want to see is a K on the river and do you really think you are going to get 2 streets of value vs underpairs? There is also more value to be had because he is more likely to call a riverbet with worse than a turn bet because he knows he gets to see a showdown.

On the turn (as played) I'm either folding or shoving (more often shoving) depending on my reads. He is never going to follow up on his bluff on the river after we call his turn raise so it is basically a shove for protection from 2+ outs and to hope he can find a hero call with worse.

I may get flamed for this, but after you check the river I think fold is best.