Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Is a complete book on NLHE possible?

In many of the threads, people are saying how this book is not complete or that book is not complete?

Here is food for thought. Perhaps the subject is too big for any book to be complete.

Can you imagine the size the book would have to be to cover every aspect of the game at every level? I bet it could be the size of the New York City phone book and people would still say it was not complete.

So the question is, can any one book on NLHE be complete?

Personally, I don't think it can and we should judge a book on whether it enlightens its target audience in language they can understand and is well written.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Is a complete book on NLHE possible?

I don't think any one book could cover all of the different topics and/or related items with much detail in a game as complicated as no-limit hold 'em. So I agree with you there.

BUT I have to say that much of the written material on the game is either very beginnerish or doesn't go into much detail.

I'm looking forward to Dan Harrington's cash game books because his tournament series was quite good.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:28 AM

I would have to agree with you guys. By the time one could be completed the game would probably have changed minutely in more than one area. I think we'll just have to be content with several books focused on specific aspects of no-limit hold'em. I'm okay with that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In many of the threads, people are saying how this book is not complete or that book is not complete?

Here is food for thought. Perhaps the subject is too big for any book to be complete.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is.

[ QUOTE ]
So the question is, can any one book on NLHE be complete?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I don't think it can and we should judge a book on whether it enlightens its target audience in language they can understand and is well written.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. A book simply needs to do some things well to be a good book, it doesn't need to be an encylcopedia.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 PM

Even if it was possible to have complete coverage as of right now, knowledge will continue to be built and advanced, additional concepts will be developed, so the completeness wouldn't last long.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:16 PM

If everything about the game could be put into one book then everyone would read that book and master the game.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM

Default I think it is on the way.

i think the harrington and robertie 2 volume cash game books will set the standard.
i expect them to be excellent and comprehensive.
i also expect them to come close to the feb 1st target release.