Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 03:41 AM

Default 8/16 hi n00b HU vs apparent shark

I'm mainly a PLO player. I have a small (~300 hours) amount of profitable experience at dealers' choice, at which super stud is played plenty, so I have some small level of skill at stud, I feel, though I should qualify that by mentioning the fact that all the dealers' choice games are pot-limit and I have probably < 1 hour of experience in any limit game.

I've been playing this guy HU for about 20 minutes. He's aggro and appears good, and I've just started calling him down a bit lighter now that I've seen what he's betting with. He's on 8 tables waiting for people to sit in with him at various levels. Assuming he's been paying attention (he did seem to be changing gears), he'll have seen me being fairly aggro on all streets, and probably misplaying a hell of a lot of stuff.

Apologies for the hand history, couldn't find a working converter. Apologies also if this is a simple hand.

I feel like I was a bit too aggressive here and could have found a checkraise on a street or two, given opponents' tendencies, but I'm not sure where, or whether it's profitable. I'm also wondering whether I should be 3betting 6th some % of the time.

ANTES/BLINDS
wazzbot posts ante ($0.50), nickkprime posts ante ($0.50).

DEAL
(wazzbot gets AC), (nickkprime gets xx), (wazzbot gets AH), (nickkprime gets xx), (wazzbot gets QC), (nickkprime gets QS), wazzbot bets $4, nickkprime bets $8, wazzbot bets $8, nickkprime bets $8, wazzbot calls $4.

4TH
(wazzbot gets KC), (nickkprime gets 4C), wazzbot bets $4, nickkprime bets $8, wazzbot bets $8, nickkprime calls $4.

5TH
(wazzbot gets 7S), (nickkprime gets 6S), wazzbot bets $8, nickkprime calls $8.

6TH
(wazzbot gets 3D), (nickkprime gets JD), wazzbot bets $8, nickkprime bets $16, wazzbot calls $8.

7TH
(wazzbot gets 7D), (nickkprime gets xx), wazzbot bets $8, nickkprime calls $8.

SHOWDOWN
wazzbot shows [ AC,AH,QC,KC,7S,3D,7D ]
nickkprime mucks cards [ 3S,QH,QS,4C,6S,JD,8S ]
wazzbot wins $120.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:33 AM

Default Re: 8/16 hi n00b HU vs apparent shark

If you are going to check raise I would do it on 4th or 5th street. I would not 3-bet 6th street because whatever you gain on 6th street against a weaker hand you lose on 7th when weaker hand does not call. Additionally, if villian has 2 pair or trips he may 4-bet you.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:09 AM

I don't understand the hand history. You can only bet $8 at $8/16? The whole thing with calling everything a bet is a bit confusing.

Is it capped on 3rd and 4th? If so, I think trying to c/r on 5th is way fancy. You've shown strength, so either he'll just raise you if you bet, or he'll check behind if you check.

It's a hard question whether or not to 3b 5th in case he raises you. Probably 3b if he is good and aggressive, but against many opponents on sub-$5/10 heads up calling a raise on 5th might be good.

Since his board isn't paired, the odds that he has made Qs up isn't that great (I think around 1/4), so overall I think you gain on leading out. But since it might be slightly marginal without having paired I might consider c/c to set up for later street c/r in other hands. I only play up to $5/10 and I would not consider 3-betting 6th with just one pair. But obviously you would have gotten value here, so it's kind of up to you.

I would go for a c/r on 7th (although looking at the results this would not have worked).
Old 10-29-2007, 01:10 AM

Hard to read. What site is this? Anyway, it looks just fine. Seems like an appropriate level of aggression for a heads-up match. The $.50 ante for $8/16 is way too low, for what it's worth.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 PM

Pokerroom.com. tbh i can't read the converted stud HHs that you guys post here. thanks for the help here guys, so it looks like i played it ok and got about the right amount of value for it, though looking back i'm really questioning my decision to 3-bet on 4th.