Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Poker winnings on resume

hi craig
Old 10-17-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're applying to a trading position, definitely put poker under 'interests'

it worked for me

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what someone told me. He said he was told they were hiring him because his poker background set him apart from the other similar candidates. He also said that his firm used poker as one of there primary methods for training.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Writing poker on a college resume is pretty stupid IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

not on the resume. for the personal statement

[/ QUOTE ]

cant remember if I put it on my college application but I did something about poker to get my national merit scholarship
Old 10-27-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stick this thread in the muck. I simply can't understand the reasoning behind wanting to do this, why do people feel the need to include poker? Simply leave it out and move on, you have to realize there's no upside to it and a considerable downside ~

[/ QUOTE ]

you are dead wrong.

the op is interviewing for a finance position. finance is a field that relies on the fundamentals of expected value, the idea of an edge, the longterm, etc.

i'd go as far as to say that when interviewing for finance positions, it's a nice edge to be able to discuss poker (assuming you're capable of discussing it well).

fwiw, poker helped me get an internship position at a hedge fund this summer.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:18 PM

I think you can definitely put a positive spin on poker in an interview, although I'm just a student applying for jobs myself. I've been playing for 4 years making about $10k each year. What I am going to say is that I have experience succeeding at jobs that not many people can do, and poker is one of the examples. Also, I'm gonna discuss how poker helped me establish financial independence from my parents as something I'm proud of. Also, poker is a good example of being an analytical thinker.

What if the interviewer asks something like "how do you perform in pressure situations?" Then poker is the perfect example of how you can make good decisions under pressure, or just an example of being able to make good decisions in general.

Finally, poker can also be a good example of dedication. If you have done it for several years it can be an example of how you can stick with one thing over a long period of time.

I think that discussing poker in the interview is probably a plus. However this doesn't really answer the question of putting it in the resume. I think I am going to put it in my resume for the more selective jobs to distinguish myself because I as well don't have a great work history.