Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: My First College Interview

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
alright, but one thing im really wondering about is if saying im a successful poker player is a good thing or bad thing, and if so should i say how much i've won if not asked. obviously this somewhat depends on how i feel the interviewer will react, but wondering if this is a good/bad thing in general.

pretty much every school im applying to that isn't a UC is pretty much math/science or engineering specific so i can assume the people interviewing will at least somewhat get the mathematical aspect

[/ QUOTE ]

dont talk about poker. srsly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2007, 11:01 PM

im back, i didnt talk about poker, but i read in their summer magazine thing an article about joe pelton, the guy who won WPT legends of poker a few years ago, gradutated there
Old 10-05-2007, 10:19 PM

You mention spinning a response about playing poker. What is most impostant in an interview is to let the admisisions people see you as a person who will mesh with their college community.

The interview should reveal your interests, your values, and your passion. I'm not sure what kind of poker activity you are involved. It could be playing poker after school with your grandfather. What is important is that if you talk about poker you do so to reveal something about you.

If you are enrolling as a math major, you might talk about how you love the game of poker and then explain how you determine the probability of a winning hand. If they ask you a question about how mature you are, then you might say that you have handled money responsibily--not necessarily saying how you made that money, and then give examples of how you have invested or budgeted that money.

You can give the appropriate emphasis to talking about poker in your interview; afterall, it's not about your playing poker but what poker reveals about you.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:44 PM

yeah, i elected not to just because the interviewer was a senior, so probably 22y/o black woman who i just didnt get the sense would see past the degen aspect. i can explain all that but my worry is that in an interview as in many other conversations, people think, "wait, you play poker, my uncle/brother/cousin lost all his money in poker, how can you take money from people?" or those kinds of things and just tune out anything else. also the fact that it is illegal for me to be playing poker. i really dont know how it would look on the extracurricular list. i've been playing seriously since the beginning of last summer and have moved up quite a bit, im just not sure if "i play only poker ilegally" is gonna be the first thing that comes to mind though