Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation

Old 06-25-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Suggested plan to leverage the WTO issue in the senate

Now I am hearing add Brazil. Again, none of this is confirmed.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:34 PM

I can't see how the addition of Brazil really matters. Either the Bush Administration gives up and permits most online gaming or the WTO will be rendered meaningless.
Unfortunately, I am afraid that the Bush Administration will choose the latter option. Thus, I am hoping that the court in the iMEGA case grants the relief requested and injoins the enforcement of the Wire Act and the UIGEA against internet gaming.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:03 PM

Most of the other countries, including the EU, are not seeking market access for online gaming. They are just trying to get compensated for a commitment the US has made in their schedule and now wants to change. They see some money on the table and they want to get some of it.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:24 PM

Very true, but the pressure for unfavorable concessions by the US that will hurt US companies adds a new deminsion that Senators and Congress folks will take a lot of heat over at home.

Should help Antigua.

PS, more legal / illegal U S Sports gaming info coming soon.

May help the case to show how widespread football pools (even free) when cash is awarded by a large U S media outlet company including INTERSTATE contests.

obg

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the other countries, including the EU, are not seeking market access for online gaming. They are just trying to get compensated for a commitment the US has made in their schedule and now wants to change. They see some money on the table and they want to get some of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-26-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see how the addition of Brazil really matters. Either the Bush Administration gives up and permits most online gaming or the WTO will be rendered meaningless.
Unfortunately, I am afraid that the Bush Administration will choose the latter option. Thus, I am hoping that the court in the iMEGA case grants the relief requested and injoins the enforcement of the Wire Act and the UIGEA against internet gaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the EU, Brazil is the most important. Red state senators become our friends. I can tell you with almost 100% certainty Brazil will seek compensation in the ethanol market. Sugar based ehtanol is effective, efficient, and cheap. Every corn farmer in america could end up on our side.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:49 AM

http://www.gambling911.com/Australia...te-062607.html

They are claiming there are 7 seeking compensation, but their source doesn't sound totally legit, but they have Australia and Macao on it, with Japan just sending a nasty letter. Fits in with Jay's list, though I really am disappointed in Japan and Brazil.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:07 PM

This article http://www.majorwager.com/frontline-521.html seems to have a more definitive list with Japan but not Brazil.