Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Artichoke Joe\'s @ San Bruno 15/30 limit game: thoughts?

Ive been a fairly consistent winner at 6/12 and done reasonably well at 9/18 kill when its spread at LC, and Im thinking of taking my profits from last night and basically freerolling a buyin at the 15/30 tables at AJ tonight.

Can anyone offer their impression of this particular game there? Just looking to know what to expect from what is basically a huge jump up in limits for me.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Artichoke Joe\'s @ San Bruno 15/30 limit game: thoughts?

swope,

The last couple of years I've only been there on a few Friday nights, but the game is INSANELY good then.

I used to play this game regularly back when the games were a lot tougher and the game was pretty damn good back then, so I imagine it's always pretty good now.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:10 PM

If you're new to middle limits, this would be a good game to take a shot in: the better regulars tend to be tight/predictable and should be easy to spot, and the live ones are capable of being God-awful-bad. The last several times I've played there there's been two games going, a Must Move and a Main Game. If you really are just taking a shot, my suggestion would be to play the Must Move and reevaluate when you are called for the main game. In general at middle limits (and especially at 15/30 and 20/40), Must Move games are often softer/looser than Main Games, as the Main Game tends to collect the better players, while the weaker players often go broke before they reach the main game.

Also, the keep in mind that 15/30 is now the biggest game AJ's is spreading; if there's only one table and no list, expect the players to be pretty good until they prove otherwise.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:24 PM

The 6/12 is often a tougher game than the 15/30.

As others have said, it isn't hard to pick out who is good.

The only adjustment you need to make is in the small blind. You'll post two chips instead of one. That prices you into playing any two (just about) if there's no raise preflop, and allows you to play a wider range of suited and connected cards if there is a raise. (Ciaffone and Brier have a pretty good overview of 2/3 blind structures in "Middle Limit Holdem".)

If its your first time in this game, you'll need to post a blind to be dealt in when you first sit. some prefer to wait for the BB, while some wait to post behind the button. It probably makes no difference.

They've been running two or three games recently, and they're chained must move games. If you've not played that format it means that players are moved towards the main game in the order in which they sat down. You won't be able to change tables as you would in the other stake games.

Lastly, you can call in to put your name on the 15/30 list.

If you've been winning at lower stakes you can expect to do well in the 15/30.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:26 PM

I haven't played this game in some time, but when I did, it was a great game. I highly recommend giving it a shot. I've never seen more than 2 good players in the game.

Also, I love the eel in the fish tank, and they've got the most entertaining chips around (check out the $100). AJ's is a fun place.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 PM

swope,

Last time I went there a few weeks ago, the tally was something like:

Diablo: -$1,300
Boris: -$400
GiftOfGab: -$1,200
Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 AM

Ive played this game once before, and its right now my limit game of choice (when I do play limit, which is almost never). I really liked it. I like the low rake and the players didnt seem that tough.