Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Size of Bet On Flop

Hey guys, I've been thinking a lot about bet sizes on the flop. It's generally accepted here that a bet size close to or at the size of the pot is best on the flop in most cases. The benefit of this is that you build bigger pots when you have a good hand. A bet size of 1/2 to 3/4 the pot doesn't have such advantages, but it does have the benefit of risking less money with a continuation bet (most hands that fold to a pot bet on flop will fold to a 1/2 pot bet as well). Do the benefits of the first outweigh the benefits of the second? Assume a same size bet, on average, for when you have a hand and when you do not. What is your opinion on the ideal flop bet, and why?

I posted in mid stakes b/c these are the limits I play, and am looking for opinions dealing SPECIFICALLY with these levels.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Size of Bet On Flop

first off, a full pot bet will fold out a lot more hands than a half pot bet.

my c-bet sizes usually depend on:

a. my image
b. wetness of flop
c. strength of my hand
d. opponent

it's generally a good mix of all of those that go into whether im gonna fire 2/3 or 3/4 etc.

also, i might add that I think firing out 3/4 to full pot bets is better than 1/2 to 2/3 bets because people are much less likely to mess around with you when you are betting big. it lets you keep a lot more control and i find that its puts enough pressure on the opponent to keep him playing more honestly and thus giving us a huge advantage. watch out for thinking opponents, though.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:44 AM

Yeah, a full pot does fold out more hands, what I was trying to get across was that if the guy has a weak hand (most of the time), 1/2 and full size bets make no difference, while you lose more when they do have a strong hand. The difference comes with hands like middle pair, possibly some draws, etc.

But I agree that it does give more control- betting the 3/4 to full pot has to make ppl wonder if you're going to come on as strong on turn.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:54 AM

im(halfpot) € im(fullpot)

but

im(fullpot) ! € im(halfpot)

the "images" of hands that each foldout are not even close. however, you do have the right idea that if a player folds to a halfpot they will also fold to a fullpot, thus risking us more money when we bet fullpot. we can't know when they will fold though, so i suggest looking at the other factors.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:55 AM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&PHPSESSID=
Old 03-18-2007, 12:58 AM

Thanks, Guy.