Attention grabbing jewerly 9 6.04%
Your person is themed (Emo,Gangsta,Punk,Goth) 5 3.36%
None of the above 87 58.39%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Re: ***SSNL LIFE THREAD NOV***

anyone heard of or listened to Kano?

UK rapper.... awesome imo. Home Sweet Home and London Town are his latest 2 albums.

this thread has inspired me to order some talib kweli from amazon. ty in advance.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:02 AM

I saw K-OS at my school couple years ago.. better studio than live, though as mentioned he seemed pretty drunk. I like Joyful Rebellion the best as well.

I saw Mos Def on a crazy night in Toronto like 3 years ago, it was good, though less New Danger and more BOBS would have been good. He was also like at least 2 hours late and I missed the last bus out of Toronto.. great.

I used to love Kweli, but he's fallen off pretty hard imo.. it seems like his voice has gotten whinier too over the years.. really lost interest after quality/beautiful struggle came out.

Right now I dig MF DOOM, Madvillainy is epic.. also diggin Little Brother and Murs.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to get terp to send pics to Frank and I'm sorry, but he wins over you.

[/ QUOTE ]

your manlove for terp is really borederline worrying

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously. when I read your post goof, I instantly thought, no he's not man crushing terp again is he? but then again, the man has been setting you up with pussy left and right, so I suppose I can understand.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, while I do think your taste needs work, it is not hopeless by any means. I've gotten people who've displayed much less potential into much better music

[/ QUOTE ]
This is so wrong. Nobody has better taste than anyone else, that's the essence of taste. If he wants to listen to stuff you don't like, that's up to him isn't it?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:18 AM

xanta,
thanks for finally mentioning some quality hip hop, namely mos def's black on both sides. and of course kweli, talib and the like. but let's not forget a tribe called quest, outkast, etc. also quality.

nath,
I mentioned this is some other thread briefly, but when oh when did you come across Lekman? as far as I knew, he was confined within the borders of Sweden, or at least no non-Swede I knew had heard of him. I actually haven't heard his new album yet aside from a couple songs. I don't know why either, because I love his other stuff.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, while I do think your taste needs work, it is not hopeless by any means. I've gotten people who've displayed much less potential into much better music

[/ QUOTE ]
This is so wrong. Nobody has better taste than anyone else, that's the essence of taste. If he wants to listen to stuff you don't like, that's up to him isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I personally think that people with more educated taste than me, have in fact better taste than me. But I suppose that's because I equate the word "better" in this sense to mean things like, more educated, more well rounded, etc.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Currently just got done watching Conan O'brien, now Last Call with Carson Daly is on... this show must literally spend $50 a night to do one of these shows.

Anyone ever experience Tinnitus in their life before? If so plz pm me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey dude, I have tinnitus.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The everlasting debate. I tend to think of it like Nath does, but I'm very aware of the importance of interpretation and personal taste. In the Norwegian jazz scene, as well as others I guess, there's a lot of "jazz police" defining what's hip and what's not, and I definately don't want to become that kind of person. Still I think, at least on some level, that there is also some kind of measureable quality in music. In that regard, music is very special imo, in that so many non-knowledgeable people claim the same expertise to judge good vs bad music. I know that sounds kind of elitist, and I'm not saying it to be a dick about it. I just think it's funny how little credit musicians and people with a broad musical knowledge get from people that really don't know that much. I know that the personal taste thing makes music pretty uncomparable to other subjects, but it would be kind of like me telling a great chef how to make a dish I knew nothing about, solely based on my personal inexperienced taste.

Another angle is how we value music. I think musicians/composers/afficionados value music much higher than average Joe, so just based on that alone, I think they should get more credit. I mean, how can someone that doesn't really LOVE music truly understand the quality and beauty of it? I hear people talking about how great some music is, and how other music suck, and when they put on a record they don't even listen to it. Listening is another aspect. It requires dedication and training, and can be done on so many different levels. How could I value the musical opinion of someone that doesn't really listen, but want music that is "easy listening" enough that they won't get distracted while doing other things? I'm not saying they aren't entitled to enjoying music in their own way, by all means, I just react when(/if - some are more humble) they refuse to acknowledge that there are different levels of involvement and expertise when it comes to music.

Just for the record, I respect that other people like different music, but if the music they listen to lack musical quality I think to myself that with more musical knowledge they would not like it. I think that's kind of what Nath was getting at. It's basically a well meaning thought, like "oh, I wish he could learn to enjoy this beautiful music". And even with music I don't like, I will credit another guy's opinion much more if he was knowledgeable wrt the musical style and really dedicated.

I also confess to not liking music that probably is good, either because it doesn't match my personal taste (i still acknowledge the quality of the music/performance), or because I lack knowledge. I have experienced many times that I've disliked music, and years later learnt to appreciate or even come to love the music, because of my personal musical development. In the same way I totally respect other people not liking whatever I like. (un)Fortunately, that doesn't stop me from wanting to share excellent music with other people, hoping that they will learn to appreciate it.

/end rambling

PS
This is not directed at anyone in particular, and is not a judgement of the music mentioned by anyone.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(un)Fortunately, that doesn't stop me from wanting to share excellent music with other people, hoping that they will learn to appreciate it

[/ QUOTE ]
I do that too - I've infected half my friends with music I like. I don't really think of it as improving their taste though, it's just giving them good music they wouldn't know about otherwise. Music is so broad and so deep a subject that it's impossible to really know where all the stuff you like is going to come from.

I don't think that my taste is better now than it was 10 years ago, despite the fact I had 10 albums then and have 500 now. It's just different and a lot wider. I still like that stuff from back then (though I don't buy new stuff in the same genres, I feel that I've heard it before if I do), isn't that the same for everyone else? If it is, doesn't that mean you can't improve taste, just change it?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 AM

I don't know if I should vote for jay or terp?
Closed Thread