Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 09:32 PM

Default 10-20 Live game - Pocket Ks on 3rd (Fold, Call or Raise)

10-20 Live Foxwoods game.

3rd street

(xx) 2c folds
(xx) Ac limps in and re-raises
(KK) Jd raise
(xx) Ah call

All others have folded and flush possibilities for Aces are still live( no more than one heart or club folded) and no Ks or Js out. The Ac limps in and I raise with my pocket Ks. The Ah calls, the force 2c folds and the Ac re-raises me. The Ac has limped in with all his big pairs and bet on 4th with all of them. Other than never raising his big pairs on 3rd he seems to be solid tight-aggressive. Ah plays fairly straight forward and raises all big pairs and most likely is not limping in with Aces or other big pair.

What is your opinion of proper play here with my pocket Ks at this point?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: 10-20 Live game - Pocket Ks on 3rd (Fold, Call or Raise)

I think you should usually call. Your kings are hidden, you're getting about 5-1 immediate odds. A jack will usually win you the pot immediately, a king puts you in a great spot, and it's unlikely to be raised behind you here (and if it is they both may have aces which is ok for you). If a raise could get it headsup AND maybe buy a free card it could be worth it, but usually in that kind of game if they call one bet they are calling again and you're just building a big pot, with yourself caught in between.

On 4th I'd usually call if it looked like it was going to be one bet, but be wary of being caught in the middle.

5th is where you'll need to really evaluate, but the safe play would be to get out if you haven't improved and the Ac keeps firing.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:12 PM

Your cards are live. Two aces are out. Queens, 10's and 9's are live. It looks like it will be 3 handed. YOu are likely behind at this point which is why I would not reraise again, but there is also the possibility that the Ac also has queens. Your buried kings will play well and your cards are coordinated. You did not mention the suits of your kings so i will assume that it is not relevant here.

All in all, a fold is not warranted here given the above comments. A raise is not warranted here becasue you are possibly not in the lead and there is no guarantee that the Ah will fold to your reraise. Therefore, it looks like a call is correct here and barring anything bad happening on board like a pairing of aces, you are likely taking this hand to the river. Ideally, you are hoping for a King, but there are other ways for you to win also, if you are not in fact already in the lead(ace sees a jack raising and not a king).

I like your hand here.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:41 PM

I'd call 3rd & probably see the hand thru as long as neither one developes a strong board. As the others pointed out your K's are hidden & your straight cards are live, so eventhough you may be behind at the moment, you should be in good shape.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:15 AM

I recommend that you call and hit.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:13 PM

Well the consensus here appears to be that I should have called. That was my thought AFTER the hand was played and I had some time to think it over. Unfortunately at the time I decided to re-raise. My thinking at the time was that I wanted to knock the Ah behind me out and I thought perhaps the Ac was making a move with an Ace high flush draw. This was more "wishful" thinking than a clear analytical read on my part.

When I thought the hand over along with the players previous plays I realized my thinking was off base and I had to put this guy on Aces and a call was justified for all the reasons you guys pointed out above. Three way action here on 4th street is much better than isolating myself with the worst hand heads up.

On 4th street I pair my J door card giving me Ks over Js. The Ace hits a rag, but he now correctly knows I am unlikely to have Js given my previous betting and correctly calls my $20 bet.

On 5th he hits the case Ace and comes out betting.I fold and he shows me the 3 aces.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:08 PM

nice fold
Old 11-27-2006, 10:29 PM

I don't think that the other guy called on fourth street because he knew you didn't have trips. I think he called because he had Aces.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM

I just played in both the 10-20 and 5-10 at the Fox yesterday (Monday, 11/27). There was also a youngish guy who liked to limp his big pairs and then reraise. He was kind of quirky, also would occaisonally go off on semi-bluffs and keep firing on sixth and river even when it was obvious he was going to get called. Yeah, it's almost certainly aces here so a reraise is bad. I probably call here and fourth, then see how the hand develops.

btw, on Monday there was no 5-10, only 1 10-20 in the am, then a 5-10 got off around 1 p.m. died in mid afternoon, started again around 7 and died again at around 10 p.m. 10-20 was going, but just one table and sometimes short. 20-40 was also going, but no 75-150. I know it was Monday, but the holde'm tables were going strong.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that the other guy called on fourth street because he knew you didn't have trips. I think he called because he had Aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would argue that re-raising on 3rd with a J in this spot lessens the chance that he perceives me having 3 Js when I hit my door card and that along with him having Aces allows an easier call on his part - especially in a relatively low ante game like 10-20.

Now if I had just called his raise on 3rd and pair my door card, I won't say it is an automatic fold on his part but he has to think a lot harder about me having 3 Jacks and he was the type of player that could definitly lay down aces at that point, especially with one Ace out.

MRBAA - have been going to FWoods since they opened, but only a hand full of times during a weekday - even before the Holdem craze - action seemed very slow during the week for 10-20 and above.