Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Vancouver Canucks are going to suck this year 07-08

Ok guys, i love the canucks but they simply aren't going far this year. I love their D- line when its healthy and goaltending obviously is great. But seriously, who is their greatest offensive threat? We really don't have any superstars and if you look at ANY playoff team they all have at least one.

However, vancouver has luongo and their D-line signed for next year, and they can dump naslund and morrisons HUGE salaries and make some big offseason acquisitions. So my question is this, what big name superstars have their contracts expire this year that would be eligible for unrestricted free agency? Restricted free agency?

ps - Please don't turn this into a, you're dumb the canucks are gonna rule this year. Its simply not true. Last year luongo stood on his head, and this year teams have adjusted because vancouver's gameplan is so 1 dimensional. They can simply be outcoached nearly every game (not a knock on vinneauln or however the eff you spell it). Plus, with the wild, avalanche, and flames in the division, going to be tough. I'm not saying the canucks are going to SUCK this year (even though i did in thread topic), i'm just saying they will be a borderline playoff team that won't make it past the first round. But next year they will have wicked defense, goaltending, and tons to spend on offense. Who's up for grabs?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Vancouver Canucks are going to suck this year 07-08

Who calls hockey defensemen the "D-Line"? Is this a west coast thing?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:23 PM

no
Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 PM

the canucks can easily make it to the stanley cup finals if their offense gets hot - if they make the playoffs.

marian hossa is ufa, but i doubt he goes to vancouver. there's not that many others set to go free.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who calls hockey defensemen the "D-Line"? Is this a west coast thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

D-Line=entire core

Why is Mason Raymond still playing in Vancouver? They claim he's up their for offensive production but yet he's being outscored by Burrows and Rypien and has one point. At least Ryan Shannon is a 2 way player with a similar offensive skill set.

The whole problem is that the team system is too easy to play against. It's not hard to win hockey games when the team your playing against only has one threatening line and somewhat threatening captain and lets you play 66% of the game in their own zone. Sadly some of the best players this year have been the role players like Burrows and Isbister.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:26 PM

avs rape gogo avs kk ill stop trolling
Old 10-25-2007, 04:23 PM

Haven't they always sucked?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:44 PM

Bieksa is really the only defensemen who is showing any signs of life. The rest of the team is playing like ass, and as has been the trend for the last few years (and will continue that way), Naslund and Morrison are just not useful anymore. They had a couple of insane years with Bert and that was that.

Luongo can only do so much when he's facing the ton of shots he is. I mean, it was against DET (who's the best in the league at SOG) but they gave up 29 shots on goal through only two periods (whereas they registered only 13 of their own).

I'm sad to say this team is just mediocre. I miss the days of the West Coast Express, with Cloots and Essensa backing him up. I don't expect them to make the playoffs. But I'll be rooting for them all the way.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:16 PM

I tend to agree. I always look forward to the games SO much, and then end up fast forwarding through them when the Canucks get down, since they play such a dull style of hockey. Watching Luongo get shelled for 3 periods while his team gets off 14 shots gets old eventually.

2008 free agents.

Only ones that really get me fired up are Lidstrom (never leaving Detroit), Hossa, Kiprusoff (don't need him), Heatley, and Spezza (RFA). Straka or Rolston might be nice pieces too, but aren't going to turn the team around.