Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: 9mm vs. .45 ACP

I Googled it with no luck. But there was a report by the FBI I believe that was called the "one stop shot report" or something like that.

It basically said that the 40 had more knockdown power than the 9 and only a little less than a 45. But if it did go beyond one shot the 40 was best because of the ability for the 40 to get back on target vs the 45.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys with shotguns next to your beds - where do you put them? propped up in the corner?

[/ QUOTE ]

The master bedroom in my house is shaped weird where there are 2 little alcove type things on either side of where the bed is. These are where are dressers are. There is a 6inch gap between my dresser and the wall and that is where it is. So it is about 4-6 feet from my bed.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:30 PM

The Glock 27 is really too small for your purposes. Its a great concealed gun, but frankly it can be dangerous to the inexperienced operator.

The Glock 23, otoh, is a great choice. Mrs. Reno has two of them-- easy to handle with all the great Glock attributes previously mentioned.

Myself, i prefer the 10 mm Glock 20. Solid firepower, full size frame.

I also agree that my first home defense weapon would be a 12 gauge pump.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:30 PM

"It is a common misperception among novice gunowners that a higher caliber weapon will penetrate and pass through its target with greater ease than a smaller caliber weapon.

It all depends on the ballistics of the round involved. The .45 auto, for example, has relatively slow ballistics, but a very large slug, typically 240 grains or more. The slow ballistics and heavy slug actually make it less likely to penetrate through a target and cause collateral damage than a 9mm, which fires a small round at a much higher velocity. I tell my men to think of it this way: the slug that leaves the bigger hole is less likely to penetrate through the target, because it transfers its shock (energy) with greater rapidity. A 55 grain NATO .223 caliber round is about 200 times as likely to pass through a target as a round of .45 ACP.

As for the specifics of "self-defense" you will have to consult with a lawyer competent to practice in your local jurisdiction. I do not believe that altering the scene post mortem would deceive a trained investigator, since the blood, viscera, bone and tissue will leave forensic clues as to the location which the Tango is rendered KIA.

In my own opinion, the pre-requisites for "self-defense" are met when I sight my target from a tactically advantageous position, with the means to terminate his life function. I am led to believe that civilian authorities are more restrictive in the practice they allow. The only interactions I have with lawyers occur when the lawyer in question has been found by executive order to constitute a threat to national security.

Hope this helps,

Lt. R. Cusper, USN "

Old 08-07-2007, 09:38 PM

That round is also shot through a rifle barrel and backed by far more gunpowder.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 PM

guids,

Don't be an idiot. What I mean is that I'm not going to be a gun nut who goes out shooting every weekend with his buddies from the gun club. And I have no plans to shoot for sport or in competitions.

I'm well aware that a gun is a difficult tool to use properly and requires training and practice.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:59 PM

If you've never shot one before, I can almost guarantee you'll find it a lot more fun than you thought. I've taken lots of people to the range to shoot for their first time, including some really scared of guns, and each one had a hell of a good time. It's a cool, fun challenge to do well, and pretty fun even if you stink at it.

The only thing that sucks is the cost, which can be well dealt with by buying a .22 to train on, as I mentioned.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:02 PM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

are u gonna put it between your waist and back of pants before u go out drinking?

if not, do not buy.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

Don't be an idiot. What I mean is that I'm not going to be a gun nut who goes out shooting every weekend with his buddies from the gun club. And I have no plans to shoot for sport or in competitions.

I'm well aware that a gun is a difficult tool to use properly and requires training and practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the one being an idiot. If you dont go out shooting every weekend, or at least a couple times a month, than dont buy a gun you plan to use for self defense, and at the very least def not one you are going to regularly carry with you. Shooting a gun correctly is not something you can get away with w/o a lot of practice, its just like anything else. You cant just point and shoot it, and treat it with reverence. You need to constantly getting familiar and used to the weapon, you cant really do that with a couple lessons, and going to the range once a year.

great video on physical security.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking to buy a handgun for self defense. I can't decide between 9mm and 45. I'm planning to get a Glock because of their reliability and affordability. But if you think something else is better, post it.

I'm not an experinced shooter, and I don't plan on spending a huge amount of time practicing.

I'm assuming the 9mm is easier to shoot, but the 45 has better stopping power. Is this correct? Are there any other factors to take into account? What's the difference in price for the ammo?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read all the responses, too lazy, but yes the 45 has the power. 9 mm is probably easier to shoot. Good choices either way. FWIW, most metro PD's/SWAT use .40/.45/.357 handguns due to the knockdown power. 9mm goes right thru a crackhead without dropping him.