Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Cheney Impeachment

"US Rep. Hank Johnson (D-GA-04) has joined ten other Members of Congress in supporting H Res 333, a bill to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney."

http://www.atlantaprogressivenews.com/news/0184.html

I'm hopeful that eroding support for the republicans will also carry over to dismantling the online gaming legislation.

I'm not sure if this doesn't belong in the politics forum, so feel free to move mods.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Cheney Impeachment

Wrong forum, I guess, but I'm glad you posted it here as I enjoyed the news. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2007, 03:53 PM

Poking your opponent in the eye does not always weaken their resolve or support.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poking your opponent in the eye does not always weaken their resolve or support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting bullied and doing nothing about it seldom weakens their resolve, either.

This bill is symbolic only, but someone should speak up for Cheney's abuse of the Constitution.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither does shooting your hunting companion in the face.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither does shooting your hunting companion in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2007, 05:57 PM

Not really poker legislation, so moving to Politics
Old 07-02-2007, 05:59 PM

Cheney doesn't have any constitutional power or responsibility. How can he be impeached? WHat's the point?
Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting bullied and doing nothing about it seldom weakens their resolve, either.

This bill is symbolic only, but someone should speak up for Cheney's abuse of the Constitution.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, full disclosure--I am an active member of the Republican Party.

Second, the impeachment bill is worst than symbolic. It's probably unconstutional, and definitely a waste of our tax dollars.

As a now-retired member of the National Guard, I didn't take an oath to a party, or a person, or even to the country. I swore to preserve, protect, and defend the CONSTITUTION of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

The constitutional standard for impeachment by the House and conviction by the Senate is "high crimes and misdemeanors."

There can be disagreement about what that means and how to apply it. But in my opinion, only two presidents that have been impeached have done anything that approaches that standard.

The first was Nixon, who obstructed justice by covering up the Watergate Hotel break-in. The second was Clinton, was was censured by a judge for lying under oath.

Both of these acts go to the heart of our criminal justice system, and a good argument could be made for the conviction of both presidents.

I have seen nothing leading me to believe that Cheney has done anything meeting the constitutional standard for impeachment.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:13 PM

Actually Nixon was never impeached, he resigned before it could happen (it almost certainly was going to).

The only Presidents to be impeached were Andrew Johnson (17th President, he followed Lincoln) and Bill Clinton.

Neither were convicted and neither removed from office (people often confuse the impeachment, which is the bringing of charges, with the actual conviction)

As you pointed out, impeachment is a process for certain specific acts. You can't impeach someone (at least not constitutionally) for not liking them or for even being terrible at their role.