Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 03:09 AM

Default 25NL: 88 on paired board

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $59.00
BB: $26.30
UTG: $22.15
MP: $26.70
Hero (CO): $35.35
BTN: $26.75

Preflop: Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $1.00</font>, Hero calls $1.00, 3 folds

Flop: ($2.35) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $2.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $8.00</font>, MP calls $6.00

Turn: ($18.35) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $15.00</font>, <font color="red">MP raises all-in to $17.70</font>, Hero calls $2.70

River: ($53.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $53.75 ($2.60 Rake)

I reraised on the flop hoping to push him off, then decided to fire again on the turn, and didn't feel like I could fold for an extra $2.70. Any ideas? I feel like I played this one very badly. I'm thinking just c-f the flop, or c-c and fold if he continues pressure?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:37 AM

Default Re: 25NL: 88 on paired board

If you think MP is a habitual cbettor, you can either float the flop or raise it. If MP double barrels after you float I'd fold; if you play it as you did on the flop, you have to check the turn and probably fold the river w/o reads.

I think you played it spewtastically, esp w/o reads. Why did you bet the turn? I don't think any K will fold here.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:37 AM

I would just fold to the flop bet (because of the king, basically). Calling and seeing if he bets again on the turn is another possibility, but, like I said, that king is troublesome.

The flop raise does have the potential benefit of pushing Villain off of, say, QQ, but if I raised, after Villain called I would basically give up and accept my fate. He's probably got a K.

As played, I guess you might as well call the turn checkraise for that additional $2.70 and hope your unknown Villain was spewing (and that you have him beat) or that you catch a miracle 8 on the river.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Preflop: Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $1.00</font>, Hero calls $1.00, 3 folds

Flop: ($2.35) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $2.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $8.00</font>, MP calls $6.00

MP checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $15.00</font>, <font color="red">MP raises all-in to $17.70</font>, Hero calls $2.70

I reraised on the flop hoping to push him off, then decided to fire again on the turn, and didn't feel like I could fold for an extra $2.70.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, as played you have to call $2.7. And you're right, you played the hand very badly.

You tried to push him off, planning to 2nd barrel the turn when villain calls, telling you he likely has a K?

You don't need to protect your hand, because a) you may not have the best hand b) no draws are out there. Your hand is not strong, too, so you obviously should not build a big pot. Use your position advantage. That means:

If your opponent is aggressive and will likely bet the turn, just fold. If this hand is going to showdown, you need to hit your 2-outer.

If he's a nit you may try to win the pot by calling his c-bet and b/f'ing if the turn bricks and he checks.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking just c-f the flop, or c-c and fold if he continues pressure?

[/ QUOTE ]
c-f, c-c = check-fold, check-call? I'd like to see that when you are in position [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I reraised on the flop hoping to push him off, then decided to fire again on the turn, and didn't feel like I could fold for an extra $2.70.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, as played you have to call $2.7. And you're right, you played the hand very badly.

You tried to push him off, planning to 2nd barrel the turn when villain calls, telling you he likely has a K?

You don't need to protect your hand, because a) you may not have the best hand b) no draws are out there. Your hand is not strong, too, so you obviously should not build a big pot. Use your position advantage. That means:

If your opponent is aggressive and will likely bet the turn, just fold. If this hand is going to showdown, you need to hit your 2-outer.

If he's a nit you may try to win the pot by calling his c-bet and b/f'ing if the turn bricks and he checks.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking just c-f the flop, or c-c and fold if he continues pressure?

[/ QUOTE ]
c-f, c-c = check-fold, check-call? I'd like to see that when you are in position [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to sleep =). Sorry, I meant either call and re-eval, or just fold to flop bet.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:59 AM

10am in Europe and well rested. Goodnight, Sir [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]