Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 11:33 PM

Default NL 100 AK with top two, vs. continued aggression. Hows my skirt?

Looking back I need to raise this flop.....do I fold to a push? I just dont like calling with top two...i feel like this could be JxJd....thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB ($66.10)
BB ($133.70)
UTG ($128.85)
UTG+1 ($109.80)
MP1 ($138)
MP2 ($107.30)
MP3 ($98.50)
CO ($20.70)
Hero ($110.30)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $5, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $4.

Flop: ($16.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $12</font>, Hero calls $12, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($40.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $121 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $161.50
Old 10-02-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: NL 100 AK with top two, vs. continued aggression. Hows my skirt?

I 3bet this preflop especially in position. You have to raise to the flop, otherwise you force yourself to c/f any street with a diamond. As played, this doesn't look as much like a flush as a hand worried that you have one diamond such as a set or 2pair. It's still a difficult decision. I guess I make a potentially nitty fold here.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:44 AM

any reads? Does the villain always overbets lik that?
Without reads, i prefer raising the flop and fold to any more aggression.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:47 AM

Def raise this flop, fold to a shove I guess. Turn play looks so weird cause this card can never ever have helped him.
So there are two possibilites IMO: 1)he thinks you are weak and tries to push you out of the hand with T or J of diamonds or even ATC. 2) He has made a small flush like 8d7d and is afraid you might have a bigger diamond and draw out on him.

BTW: I'd love if he had JdTd and plays it like that...
Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 AM

No one sees him having AK, QQ?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:13 PM

This could be a lot of things. AA, KK, QQ, J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Jx, AK, AQ, AxJ[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], JT. Yes, you beat some of those hands (AJ, JJ, split with AK), but you lose to most of them. There's no sense to calling this shove.

Preflop is OK but not great. I prefer a raise but will play it this way against some villains.

Also, I don't mind the flop line. I think its prudent to see the turn before making a decision to commit your stack. Could someone please help me understand why a raise is better?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one sees him having AK, QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely possible and I'd say more likely than a flush here. However, this is essentially toward the bottom of his range and you are drawing to 4 outs against one and chopping against the other.

In terms of betting the flop, I usually don't like to give free cards, especially with an opponent behind (who proved to be useless). I'm not sure if a raise makes playing future streets harder or easier. Say flop action remains as played, turn is the same and MP fires 33. Now what's our action? If we raise to ~36 on the flop and he calls and the turn bricks as such, we have 72 left into a ~90 pot. If he shoves, well I guess we have to fold. I don't see a good situation here, so I guess I see merits to just calling the flop, but I feel like that's not trying to win the hand, simply to lose the least and let the opponent dictate what happens in the hand. Im done rambling.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't mind the flop line. I think its prudent to see the turn before making a decision to commit your stack. Could someone please help me understand why a raise is better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Imo it's not, unless villain has shown that he can bet/fold. At best, your line has to be raise/fold, and that's not real enticing to me on this board (i.e., hoping to fold AQ maybe?). You're lucky, he made your turn decision easy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]