Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 02:14 AM

Default WPT/WsoP impact on cash games?

Hello,

I'm going to Vegas tomorrow. I understand the Mirage WPT main event starts on Sunday, and that Caesars has some WSoP circuit stuff going.

How does this impact cash games? I'm planning to play $4/8 and $15/30. I figured there will be no impact on $4/8, but I wonder if $15/30 will get some tournament traffic. I'm also not sure if someone playing under their normal stakes is good or bad for other players, i.e., do they often goof around enough to make up for their (possibly) greater skill?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:31 AM

Default Re: WPT/WsoP impact on cash games?

I'd also be interested to hear predictions on how this will effect wait-times.

Will the events only effect Mirage & Caesars? Or will it draw more players from all over, so all the waitlists will be longer?
-Sam
Old 05-10-2006, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand the Mirage WPT main event starts on Sunday,

[/ QUOTE ]

as dynasty pointed out there has been a lackluster turnout for the mirage WPT events due to the WSOP circuit events at caesars...

I have yet to see an action filled night of mirage games this week...

looks like Caesars is reaping the benefits though

waitlists are average anywhere, but there is a shorthanded 5/10NL game that's been running with Minh Ly @ treasure island
Old 05-10-2006, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

there is a shorthanded 5/10NL game that's been running with Minh Ly @ treasure island

[/ QUOTE ]

busto?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

I'm going to Vegas tomorrow. I understand the Mirage WPT main event starts on Sunday, and that Caesars has some WSoP circuit stuff going.

How does this impact cash games? I'm planning to play $4/8 and $15/30. I figured there will be no impact on $4/8, but I wonder if $15/30 will get some tournament traffic. I'm also not sure if someone playing under their normal stakes is good or bad for other players, i.e., do they often goof around enough to make up for their (possibly) greater skill?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you really suggesting that tournament players are actually good at cash games?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How does this impact cash games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Caesars has been very busy during the WSOP Circuit. The 2/5 games were looser than normal (though there seemed to be more grumpy players than usual--bad enough they drove me out of the game Saturday and I moved to NL1/2 after like the 4th serious tantrum in an hour that held up the game). But the 1/2 was better than normal, too, so that was fine. And they've had NL5/10 going on two tables most of the time and got one NL10/25 going as well a couple days.

But that's all winding down. $10K event is into day 3 now. The $500 tourney they did yesterday only got 80-some entrants. So I think that little roll is basically over.

I wandered by Mirage this weekend about 2pm as a $1000 or $2000 WPT event was going on and the cash games seemed dead. So I headed over to Caesars where they were not at all dead. Perhaps the Mirage action will pick up as the WSOP Circuit dies off.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:48 PM

I agree with everyone here but will add that from what I have seen, limit games have been non-existant at Caesars and Mirage. Of course Bellagio and Wynn always have limit going.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps the Mirage action will pick up as the WSOP Circuit dies off.

[/ QUOTE ]

for some reason I doubt it
Old 05-10-2006, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you really suggesting that tournament players are actually good at cash games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not compared to the very best cash game players, but I would think much of the field in a $10000+ event could beat $15/30 if they really wanted to. If I were a $300/600 level player, I'd be salivating. But $15/30 isn't so high.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:56 PM

The action at Caesars has looked pretty good for NL, but the limit games have suffered. On Saturday night, they were having trouble keeping two tables of 4/8 running.

If you want to play 15/30, your best bet is to stick with the standby Wynn/Bellagio (or play 10/20 or 20/40 at Mirage).