Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Great Cocktails

I appreciate the love for gin here. A good gin and tonic is like comfort food for me. Obviously Bombay and Tanqueray are what you find in bars, which work fine for me.

Any other brands that I should try? I've tried Hendricks before, and I liked that.

Do people drink gin on the rocks? Seems very harsh, but I like gin so much, I might try to get my taste for gin this way.

It's a shame my generation (I'm 27) is soooo vodka heavy.

Scotch and gin is where I live.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate the love for gin here. A good gin and tonic is like comfort food for me. Obviously Bombay and Tanqueray are what you find in bars, which work fine for me.

Any other brands that I should try? I've tried Hendricks before, and I liked that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bombay Sapphire is a very solid gin that mixes into almost any cocktail. It's really taste-dependent though, but if you like smooth, try Citadelle. If you want something that will smack you in the face with flavors, try Junipero. It's so very very good, but it's not for beginners.

[ QUOTE ]
Do people drink gin on the rocks? Seems very harsh, but I like gin so much, I might try to get my taste for gin this way.

It's a shame my generation (I'm 27) is soooo vodka heavy.

Scotch and gin is where I live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try a Gimlet. 4 oz. gin, 1 oz Rose's lime. Stir lightly and serve straight.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:10 AM

Punkass,

If I'm running well at poker, I'll keep a bottle of Hendrick's in my freezer and drink it neat. I prefer this to gin on the rocks. I haven't bought a bottle in a while, though, due to not running so well or playing as much. It's still my favorite gin, though.

I like Bombay Sapphire, but I can't help but think it's overpriced. This is only due to the fact that it's a "name" gin, and I know for a fact that "name" rums, whiskeys, and especially vodkas tend to be overpriced. I haven't found much in the way of a comparable gin for less, but the quest continues. My current gin is Broker's. It's markedly less expensive than Sapphire, but it's not quite as good, either. It might be a better value, but really, gin is so cheap compared to other spirits that I might be inclined to buy Sapphire anyway. I find it's a little better buy than Beefeater, though, so bear that in mind. I don't think Tanq 10 is worth it. It's a little better than Sapphire, but I like Hendrick's more, and Hendrick's and 10 are comparable in price -- the 10 might be a little more expensive, actually. When it comes down to it, though, it's hard to spend "too much" on gin, because gin doesn't get all that expensive. I wish I had a better answer for you, but really, I've found that you tend to get what you pay for when it comes to gin, and there isn't much better than Hendrick's. For a second level gin that you use for mixing, well, I don't have as good recommendation as I would for a brand of bourbon, vodka, or rum that would really knock your socks off for the price.

KotOD,

Have you read Paul Harrington's (no relation to Dan, I don't think) Cocktail? It's a book that's out of print, but it has an awesome collection and history of classic cocktails. The writing about the history of each drink is fun and interesting, and the recipes he chose to include are really solid for a person who likes real drinks, not just sugary fluff.

As for your love of a Black Velvet, I agree, even though I've only ever had 2 in my life. They're great, but even for myself, I seldom buy Guinness or Champagne, so I seldom have the ingredients to make one when the mood strikes. Opening a bottle of sparkling wine is pretty much a commitment to drink the whole thing that night, and I don't do that too often.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:13 AM

KotOD,

I have not had Junipero, but really, that sounds like my kind of gin. I tend to go for strong flavors. I'll have to see if the liquor stores near me sell it. I was disappointed when I tried Citadelle. I didn't think it was as smooth, flavorful, or as price-worthy as Sapphire.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
KotOD,

Have you read Paul Harrington's (no relation to Dan, I don't think) Cocktail? It's a book that's out of print, but it has an awesome collection and history of classic cocktails. The writing about the history of each drink is fun and interesting, and the recipes he chose to include are really solid for a person who likes real drinks, not just sugary fluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not, but now I have something to look for. Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
As for your love of a Black Velvet, I agree, even though I've only ever had 2 in my life. They're great, but even for myself, I seldom buy Guinness or Champagne, so I seldom have the ingredients to make one when the mood strikes. Opening a bottle of sparkling wine is pretty much a commitment to drink the whole thing that night, and I don't do that too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had less than a dozen in my life and all of them at "functions". I've made them my offical toast drink.

Now I want one.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:35 AM

Fill half a pint glass with strongbow, and the other with Guiness. If you pour it right the 2 will sit one on top of the other. I could easily drink these all night...
Old 10-06-2007, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm not too scared of herbs. I drink Benedictine straight, and I've been known to pour more Chartreuse into a drink than any sane person should.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected sir. Go for it then, you sound like a Campari natural.

KotOD, I completely agree: great to discuss classic drinks with like-minded drink fans and not be made to feel like a snob. Good to see the awesome simplicity of the Gimlet getting some love, and you people have made me want to make a Black Velvet. Home game tonight, maybe I should splurge on champagne and guinness.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:26 AM

I think I'm going to stick with Hendricks and Sapphire, which are the ones I already know I like and I trust MrWookie's taste. I also love the fact that gin is cheap.

Hendricks in the freezer and drink neat? It might take me some getting used to, but I will do this and eventually love it.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:45 AM

Here are the only cocktails you need to know.

Warm weather pre dinner; Any good gin(not vodka) martini, up, no vermouth.

Cold weather pre dinner; Any good bourbon on the rocks.

Post dinner; one of any good single malt scotch neat.

Breakfast; Bloody Mary

Aside from good tequila this will meet all of your cocktail needs.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:09 PM

Hey all,

I think that you guys need to take Plymouth Gin into consideration. I'm a serious gin drinker and this stuff is far and away the best for me. Insane quality at a good price.

Wookie,

You've never tried a Negroni? Oh, dude. It's the perfect balance of flavours. Make it on the rocks with a slice of orange and a dash of soda water. Fantastic.

The major cocktails in Italy at the moment are the muddled drinks. Mojito, caprihina, caprioska etc, (I've spelt all those incorrectly I know.) We go through about 4 cases of limes a week making these buggers.

ads.