FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: This is a good idea and I do not smoke weed
Agree 20 51.28%
Disagree 19 48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Do you like the DH poll

[ QUOTE ]
"In 1968, the New York Yankees hit .214 as a team and finished over .500. Read that sentence again. Something had to be done. "
The league average in 1968 was .230

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe that was his point.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

They get no credit for Morneau, Hunter, Mauer and to a lesser extent Cuddyer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mauer was a no-brainer No. 1 selection. They've minimized the risk with him when his knees were worrisome, though, so I'll give them that.

Morneau, sure, though no one expected this.

Hunter, sure.

Cuddyer they also [censored] up a bit. They jerked him around the infield and took forever to give him a full-time job and kept blocking his path.

As Joe Sheehan has said many a time, the Twins are seemingly incapable of simply putting their best team on the field in April or May. They handle pitchers quite well -- Johan and Liriano were handled excellently -- but they've needed hitting for the past two years and could've shopped Slowey, Garza, Bonser, Baker, and I'm sure I'm forgetting more that I'm too lazy to look up. Come on, SOMEBODY. Not go and sign Tony Bautistas and play Nick Puntos and Lew Fords.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mauer was a no-brainer No. 1 selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I guess. GM Terry Ryan was too cheap to go with the greatest amateur pitcher of all time and instead went with the local talent who would be more signable (who was obviously still quite good).

I'm pretty sure not too many people thought Mauer would be this good. Everyone thought Prior was the next coming of Cy Young. And they were right, at least for a few years.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:47 AM

I'm not a purist. I hate sacrafice bunting, but I also hate the DH. It makes the game SO DULL because it allows a team to cheat its way closer to a perfect state. The perfect state being the 9 best hitters hitting, the 9 best fielders fielding, and the 4 best runners doing all the baserunning. What seperates baseball from other sports is the lack of specialization, that's what makes the game exciting. Watching your team hit a ball through the legs of some fatass who shouldn't be on the field, or making fun of the pitcher while he tries to hit is an EXCITING part of the game. It's also exciting to see guys come off the bench and the team to run out of players in lonmg extra inning games. It's exciting to see the pitcher get a hit in a big spot. AL fans get none of this.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I guess. GM Terry Ryan was too cheap to go with the greatest amateur pitcher of all time and instead went with the local talent who would be more signable (who was obviously still quite good).

I'm pretty sure not too many people thought Mauer would be this good. Everyone thought Prior was the next coming of Cy Young. And they were right, at least for a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

No brainer is a bit too strong, but I remember hearing a ton of reputable sources saying Mauer was widely considered to be the No. 1 pick in the draft for about 2/3 of the MLB teams.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"In 1968, the New York Yankees hit .214 as a team and finished over .500. Read that sentence again. Something had to be done. "
The league average in 1968 was .230

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe that was his point.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya I misread. I thought the guy Andy was responding to was saying that in a ZOMG WITH EXPERT STRATEGY A TEAM THAT BATTED .214 STILL WAS OVER .500
Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, all the MN papers were talking about how the Twins simply could not afford to sign Prior, and so there was this big hype campaign that Hometown Joe was the guy we really wanted anyway. I was pretty disappointed about it at the time, because I thought Prior was an absurd, 100% stone cold lock, and that I'd rather not take a guy that I played against in HS instead.

I think its sort of results oriented to claim this was a good pick, but it was also not really Ryan's decision. It was simply impossible to pick Prior, so they got the best of the rest.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No brainer is a bit too strong, but I remember hearing a ton of reputable sources saying Mauer was widely considered to be the No. 1 pick in the draft for about 2/3 of the MLB teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because 2/3 of the MLB teams couldn't afford Prior [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 01:25 AM

Oh and btw :

1. Twins Joe Mauer C Cretin-Derham Hall HS, St. Paul
2. Cubs Mark Prior RHP U. of Southern California
3. Devil Rays Dewon Brazelton RHP Middle Tennessee State U
4. Phillies Gavin Floyd RHP Mt. St. Joseph HS, Baltimore
5. Rangers Mark Teixeira 3B Georgia Tech

;lfjhljdsfhwjfhwj;fhw;;gfwh;gjher;ghe;hgj
Old 08-01-2007, 01:35 AM

IIRC Teix was also an option for da Cubz