Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Help settle an argument between two stud fishies

First things first, you should be raising (or folding) 3rd street with your hand. Normally, this hand would be garbage and is usually a routine fold(middling, double gutter straight cards are not good hands to draw to). However, in this situation, you probably should've gone ahead and raised, because, A) almost everyone had already folded to you, and all your cards still remain live, B) there was only 1 limper to you and his doorcard was smaller than yours, which means, that not only would you be drawing to that double-gutter, but you have overcards that might also help you to have the best hand/take the lead if you hit any of them, as well. Plus, by raising 3rd, it gives you more of a chance to take down the pot on the later streets. And C) you don't want to give the bring-in a chance to hit something for free (ie; if he was dealt something like Q72, and you raised 3rd, then he's probably not going to call. But if you just limp and let's say that you hit one of those getter straight cards on 4th but he hits that Queen.. then you'll be far behind in the hand, even with the draw), so if you have the opportunity to get it to heads up play, then you should at least try to achieve that and raise 3rd cause it really is a muuuuch better HU hand. Enough said on that.

I think, if your opponent had quad A's, he's probably going to be looking to play it one of two ways...either he's going to try and be "clever" and check it to you, or, he's just going to bet it. And, because you also had a very strong open board yourself, I would think that he'd be more likely to bet it. I don't see him betting quads on 6th, then getting raised by you to just smooth call and then checkraise the river. It doesn't make sense, because, once he decides to bet 6th, he'd make more on the hand if he just kept pressing the envelope. And, because the Ten was your doorcard, he probably thinks you made J's full. So, when he bets, you have to raise at least once with quads, but when he reraises, it's really only a matter of taking on the last bet or electing to just call. Eh, I would go ahead and cap the betting on the river and if he shows you quads, good for him. If it were a live game(and there wasn't a cap on the betting), then I'd probably stop raising after 2 or 3 times, which adds up to what's allowed on the internet.