Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Today\'s Washington Post and why libertarians fear Dems

Once upon a time, back in 2000, I thought voting for Bush was a better alternative then voting democrat.

Never choose the lesser of two evils. You get what you deserve.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:06 PM

OK, I realize I probably started it by making the "confused" joke, but please stop calling minarchist libertarians "stupid" and the like. You're not helping.

OP, I apologize for the "confused" joke.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:20 PM

Most Libertarian Democrats are in the midwest and in the vein of Jon Tester and Brian Schwietzer in MT. Not in the vein of Sherrod Brown.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I realize I probably started it by making the "confused" joke, but please stop calling minarchist libertarians "stupid" and the like. You're not helping.

OP, I apologize for the "confused" joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm calling the idea stupid. Calling people stupid makes no sense.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:47 PM

I actually don't think it is all that important how I describe my political beliefs. Despite the derogatory nature of his description Nielso is basically right.

The values expressed here seem to represent the mainstream of thought in the Democratic party. I am wondering if allowing Democrats to enact a net of subsidies and trade barriers isn't worse than letting Republicans opress homosexuals and embark on endless fruitless quests to amend the constiution.

I see the same kind of thinking here that led to the absurd network of farm subsidies that are now here to stay. If the Dems are going to create a new network of protected classes of workers (like those in the auto industry), then I want not part of their nonsense.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you don't agree with me, you are a retard

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-23-2006, 08:22 PM

I think that most people actually default to the position of the economy being zero-sum. It's actually a LOT of people that think that way. That's where the problem lies.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps a better word would be 'moderate' libertarian, i.e. someone who generally favors far less government in all areas, but who thinks that some government is necessary/desirable.

And I don't know if voting Dem is such a big deal right now, since Republicans are so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called minarchist. And it's rather stupid imho. They want to go back to 1776 just so it can become a monster-state again. ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanting something that has happened before is stupider than wanting something that has zero chance of happening? Maybe in a thousand years people will be enlightened enough for ACism to take hold, but some people aren't willing to wait that long and would rather settle for what they can get.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, in answer to your post the democratic plan for us being unproductive is to blame foriegners. Just turn on Lou Dobbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. Lou Dobbs blames American trade negotiators, and what he considers the bad trade deals they make. They are Americans, not foreigners.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The idea that my tax dollars will be sought to prop up a lousy business model makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that the op-ed writer is not talking specifically about propping up GM, but rather a more general approach to expanding American Manufacturing. I think he has a point there. Manufacturing has been declining in this country for the last 40 years. Do we really want to stop making things and turn our economy entirely over to the service industry? That's the direction we're heading and I'm not looking forward to that.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I am asking Iron and other reasonable Democrats if they can understand why this rhetoric is deeply troubing to economic conservatives who would be their allies?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure. While I personally support free trade, I have to admit that the Democratic Party is more protectionist than the Republican Party. Of course, the reason why the Democratic Party makes economic conservatives nervous is because we are liberals. But to be honest, I'm not aware of any Democratic plans to roll back trade agreements or otherwise pursue protectionist policies. Also, I think part of what Dorgan is talking about is countries that we open our markets to that don't reciprocate.