Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: The Longest Paper you\'ve written in the shortest amount of time

em2 does haha
Old 11-19-2006, 01:52 PM

8 pages with research/sourcing in 3 1/2 hours freshman year, where did my efficiency go [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2006, 02:21 PM

35 short papers (mostly reading response type things, not analytical at all)

It was a whole semesters worth of work, we were supposed to do a reading and write a paper after each class.

I did all of the readings and wrote 110 pages in 18 straight hours of work (11 red bulls drank.) I handed in the portfolio 30 minutes late but it was accepted for full credit.

It was a pass fail class. I passed.

Bonus: 3 hours after I wrote these papers I had an exam for a class that I had not attended nor had I done any of the readings for (law class.) I studied for 15 minutes on no sleep and got the class avg.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
15 pages. Around 3 hours. Got an A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously a creative writing class. That paper would be around 4000 words in 180 minutes ~ 20 words per minute. There is NO way you did an academic paper (source citation, etc) in that amount of time. None.

[ QUOTE ]
35 short papers (mostly reading response type things, not analytical at all)

It was a whole semesters worth of work, we were supposed to do a reading and write a paper after each class.

I did all of the readings and wrote 110 pages in 18 straight hours of work (11 red bulls drank.) I handed in the portfolio 30 minutes late but it was accepted for full credit.

It was a pass fail class. I passed.

Bonus: 3 hours after I wrote these papers I had an exam for a class that I had not attended nor had I done any of the readings for (law class.) I studied for 15 minutes on no sleep and got the class avg.

[/ QUOTE ]

110 pages? That is around 330,000 words. We'll say they were small pages or something, so 200,000 words.

200,000 / 18 (hours you spent) / 60 (minutes in an hours) = 185 words per minute = you're full of [censored].

For a freshmen history writing intensive class I had an 7-page paper due at 11AM on a Monday. I decided to visit a friend at a different school instead of writing it. I got home Sunday at 4PM, slept until 1AM and wrote for about 9 hours straight, getting done at 8AM. My works cited was 1.5 pages and my paper ended up being 9 pages long. I definitely got an A.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah it is hard to organize fairly.

how about this: I have to write 10 out of the 15 pages by 5pm tomorrow, but you get odds since it shouldn't be that hard for me to do.

If I'm too lazy to do 10 pages by then you get $10. If I do it, I get $3.

[/ QUOTE ]
T-minus 26 minutes
Old 11-19-2006, 07:17 PM

4 hours 10 pages (A-) and 1 hour 5 pages (A).
Old 11-19-2006, 07:38 PM

My best is reading a 400 page book and writing a 10 page paper about the Peloponnesian War and comparing Pericles and Archidamus.

Start time (book): 4:00 pm
Start time (paper): 10:30 pm
Sleep time: 12-1:30 and 5:30-7:30
Due time: 7:45 am

Not great, but not bad.

My personal best in 7th grade was doing a project we had for 2 months in the lunch period 2 periods before it was due, but obviously middle school is too easy to be counted.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:51 PM

110 pages? That is around 330,000 words. We'll say they were small pages or something, so 200,000 words.

200,000 / 18 (hours you spent) / 60 (minutes in an hours) = 185 words per minute = you're full of [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I just went back to the documents out of curiosity.

Because some of the documents were double spaced and others were not, several were written in outline format, and because it was several short assignments that ran 2.5 pages or so and were printed on 3 pages of paper (hence 3 pages) I averaged 300 words per page over the small sample of documents that I just pulled up.

300 words per page * 110 pages = 33,000 words.

18 hours * 60 minutes = 1080 minutes.

This comes out to a mere 30.5 words per minute. Which for someone who is inundated by writing assignments is not an impossible task (although it definitely was not easy.)

This is much less than your estimate of 185 wpm so I went back to your calculations only to discover that you are quite bad at math.

-Steve

edit: Why would I possibly lie about something like this? To prove my poor discipline and time management skills?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:45 AM

I once wrote 18 pages on Descartes in < 4 hours and got an A-.

I literally turned it in at the last second...the TA was collecting the papers from my professor's box as I ran up.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:46 AM

15 pages in a night, probably around 5 hours. I think from 2-7, woke up out of a deep sleep all of a sudden remembering that I had a paper due the next day.

Research paper for a history class. It was for high school, so the material wasn't really hard, but the teacher was a stickler for correctly citing things, and was known to take books out from libraries and look up your citations to see if you were bullshitting or not.

Add in a chewing-out by my mom when she woke up at around 3:30 and saw me sitting there typing/passing out on the keyboard, drinking coffee from the pot. That took up a good 45 minutes right there.