Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather push or fold without any read
Push!!!! 9 45.00%
Steady now! 11 55.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: It is logically impossible for an omniscient, omnipotent god to ....

[ QUOTE ]
I am a christian/jew/muslim and I am incapable of rational thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl..

although this is funny and I agree..

why would you put this in a post that is meant to be serious...if you wanted actual argument in this thread, you shouldn't have put this in there.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: It is logically impossible for an omniscient, omnipotent god to ..

[ QUOTE ]
Thread summary so far:

No-one has raised any serious objections to my argument.

No-one has raised any serious objections to my poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still waiting for your answer to me.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FortunaMaximus says:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thread summary so far:

[/ QUOTE ]

Good read there. Got 'em blinkers on, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

One problem you have "FortunaMaximus" is that you seem unable to distinguish between `If A Then B' and `If B Then A'.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you're an ordinary numbers cruncher who cannot appreciate that neither the theists or atheists here who are capable of thought and rational discourse have bothered to contest your weakly self-biased poll on emotional grounds and they have provided reasonable, good arguments why your argument has flaws.

And when faced with such, what have you countered with? Hmm. Not a lot, really. Kind like a toddler's tantrum, "I'm right and you're wrong, nyaaaah..."

Laughable.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Re: It is logically impossible for an omniscient, omnipotent god to ....

What you say is correct, but just because there is no evidence for this God, doesn't mean the universe isn't deterministic or partially deterministic.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Determinism and free will aren't mutually exclusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they are.

Anyway, free will is a mystical belief. "Choice not influenced by external factors"? Please.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So for an omniscient (all-knowing), omnipotent (all-powerful) god, creating a universe means simply choosing one from the list of all possible universes, which automatically means choosing every detail of that universe. Obviously that means for any other being that finds themselves living in such a universe, they never get to choose anything because the omniscient (all-knowing), omnipotent (all-powerful) god already chose absolutely every detail of everything that happens in that universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't read anything but the OP, but this is where you're wrong IMO. God(or whatever you want to call it) created all possible universes, and we are the one's choosing which one of those to experience, not the other way around(God choosing which one we are experiencing). Not sure if this makes sense to you but it does to me.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:39 PM

I'll give a try at redefining that, Morrek. In a multiverse built on quantum probabilistic functions, in theory, all significant Universes exist concurrently in a steady state, and your choices through this determine which of the Universes you reside in until the next if-then fork.

There are an infinite set of choices that lead up to your current state, and an infinite set of choices leading away from this state.

As for determining which specific Universe you're in, I think a comparable analogy to grayscale used in photography might be applicable here. Gray is gray and there are many different shades of gray, but it's still the same fundamental color using both black and white. Only for Universes, there are an infinite number of scales, and in an infinite number, the finite set distinguishing similar but not identical Universes may as well be perceptually infinite anyway to h. sap.

And in such a worldview, even God is reduced to another factor in the process, or he/she is the glue holding all those processes together. He or She may not have a clue how to stop the internal processes either, and maybe that's the point. Might be as curious as we are to see what results out of such an experiment.

Have the Chicken Caesar instead and a few galaxies aren't present in this Universe. How're we to tell the difference?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And in such a worldview, even God is reduced to another factor in the process, or he/she is the glue holding all those processes together. He or She may not have a clue how to stop the internal processes either, and maybe that's the point. Might be as curious as we are to see what results out of such an experiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would not be an omniscient omnipotent god, and so this could not provide a counterexample to my argument. So what exactly is your objection to my original argument?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thread summary so far:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still waiting for your answer to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you need to realize "snowden719" is that `If A Then B' is logically equivalent to `If not B Then not A'.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:54 PM

what on earth are you talking about??? First off, that's obvious. Second, none of my arguments nor yours require it.