Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Ask PITTM: Headphones, basketball, smoking weed.

[ QUOTE ]
Smoke weed everyday!

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not a [censored] question.

-eric
Old 03-25-2006, 03:45 AM

I've got grado sr225s being powered by headphone out of my denon receiver. Source is various high quality mp3s and lossless content.

If I want to spend some money, but keep the grados, what should I do? I've modded the pads a bit and like that, but I'm not sure if an amplifier is going to do me much good since:

1. The denon output isn't complete [censored]
2. I listen a VERY low volume levels almost all of the time
Old 03-25-2006, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only owned one good pair of headphones: AKG K271S. I listen to a really broad range of music, mostly from my laptop. Good headphone choice (I had to get something v. comfortable and closed)? How much would an amp help? What's a good amp/should I re-learn how to solder so that I can make one myself?

[/ QUOTE ]

an amp would be great for the AKG 271s. ive heard those before and while there are different impedance models, i remember it being a headphone that would need an amp. if you want to build a cheap one, you can build a C-moy or you could go nuts and build a pimeta, which sound very nice. a good resource for amp building is here:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

you can also look for an amp to buy in the "for sale" forums.
my current amp is a Ray Samuels Hornet: http://ipastudio.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/874

i believe that while a 350 dollar amp, it is the best for the price, and sounds absolutely amazing.

rj
Old 03-25-2006, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would greatly appreciate some recommendations for the best set of compact headphones, earbuds or not, < $75.

[/ QUOTE ]

i use the AKG 26p while playing basketball or walking around town. it sounds v nice out of my ipod too, enjoy! <3

rj
Old 03-25-2006, 04:16 AM

P.I.T.T.M. - dude, weren't you P.I.T.T.M. before or something? Why are you RJ now?

Curious,
-Al
Old 03-25-2006, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want headphones that I can wear to sleep without them bugging me. I thought ear buds'd work, but I can't adjust positions without losing the wire. The only wireless heaphones i've found are pretty bulky and are uncomfortable to wear lying down.

Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

same problem here. there isnt really much you can do, i tend to sleep on my side so wearing headphones becomes even more uncomfortable. i just dont wear headphones to bed as ive never found one to be comfortable. i imagine just wearing a small pair like my akg 26ps would be decently comfortable, but none will be comfortable. sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

rj
Old 03-25-2006, 04:17 AM

hey hey hey heyyyyyy...

[ QUOTE ]
Smoke weed everyday!

[/ QUOTE ]

rj
Old 03-25-2006, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got grado sr225s being powered by headphone out of my denon receiver. Source is various high quality mp3s and lossless content.

If I want to spend some money, but keep the grados, what should I do? I've modded the pads a bit and like that, but I'm not sure if an amplifier is going to do me much good since:

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, i dont think you need another amp. especially for grados, which benefit the least from an amp of pretty much all headphones because of their incredibly low power consumption. i have no problem with using headphone outs on older recievers and i use my marantz headphone out all the time. id say stick with the denon, espcially since the amp that is made for grados, the grado RA-1 is a hideously bad/overpriced headphone amp. gl

rj
Old 03-25-2006, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, i dont think you need another amp. especially for grados, which benefit the least from an amp of pretty much all headphones because of their incredibly low power consumption. i have no problem with using headphone outs on older recievers and i use my marantz headphone out all the time. id say stick with the denon, espcially since the amp that is made for grados, the grado RA-1 is a hideously bad/overpriced headphone amp. gl

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I want to spend money on better headphone sound, what should I do?
Old 03-25-2006, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
P.I.T.T.M. - dude, weren't you P.I.T.T.M. before or something? Why are you RJ now?

Curious,
-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

i WAS PITTM, i submitted to change my name to RJ! on the forums and my request got denied because "it would be too confusing". a week later, i got banned for the most retarded reason ever(and not even by the mod you probably think) and at that time i made a new account with this name. i believe pittm still exists, i just dont use it, maybe ill bring it back one day. oh yeah, and i changed to RJ after most 2p2ers started calling me RJ since thats what ive always been called IRL. i figured if i was going to be making friends here i would rather be called by my name than my handle.

rj