FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this...
True 11 31.43%
False 7 20.00%
Insufficient information 17 48.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Grilling Challenge

can anyone tell me if its safe to grill with ceramic bowls/dishes? how about glass?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:06 PM

Victor--Can you explain exactly what it is you want to do and why you want to do it?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Victor--Can you explain exactly what it is you want to do and why you want to do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, we have some ceramic cookware. i suppose its designed for the oven.

i had been cooking potatoes and veggies and spices in it.

but when its real hot i dont want to cook inside so i have been cooking on the grill. its a dinky propane grill from walmart.

i noticed a small hairline fracture in the ceramic cookware and was wondering if its from cooking on the grill.

regardless, i just wonered if it was common knowledge not to use ceramic on the grill but it doesnt seem to be.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:43 AM

Most ceramic and glass cookware is not intended for cooking over open flame (note that most glass bakeware explicitly says not to use with a broiler and a broiler just equals open flame at close quarters). There are some exceptions, there are some ceramic saucepans that are fully tempered and at least stove-top safe, but I'm guessing what you have is not that kind of quality.

If you want to cook potatoes and veggies on a grill, I would just suggest that you invest in a dutch oven or a cast iron pan with a lid. That would probably serve best for the purpose you have in mind, with no risk of shattering. Alternatively, you could also steam veggies on the grill by wrapping them in aluminum foil with a little liquid, poking a few holes in the foil to vent the steam. However, most veggies do very nicely on the grill itself without being in cookware: asparagus, eggplant, sweet potatoes, potatoes, zucchini, onion, etc. etc. Just brush some olive oil and your spices and put them right on the grill until tender. You'll get those fabulous grill marks on them too.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 AM

O.K. There's one more week left before the grill competition is over. Go ahead and chat about what you'd like to see happen next month. There was already a suggestion for an international cuisine challenge. That's great. However, I thought last month we had decided to alternate between more open challenges (a theme, a cooking method, a cuisine, that sort of thing) and ingredient challenges. I think mixing it up is a good idea, but there's no need to be rigid about anything--let's just do what everyone is up for doing.

I was actually thinking pumpkin might be fun it being October and all, but am worried that it's an ingredient that will scare off most from participating. Pumpkin, anyone? Anyway, go ahead and discuss.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:57 AM

Papa Perry--I think I see that you have a shaker on your counter that has a printed label with Papa Perry and a grill logo and all. Is your rub something you are marketing? Even if you're not, I think the shaker is very cool. I have my rub mix in just an old spice shaker with "RUB" written on it in permanent marker. You are far more classy, my friend.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 AM

I am still working on the rub, I still use a commercial season salt, so I am not quite ready yet. My wife bought me the shakers for a present a few years ago. The label is just printed on a printer. I occasionally cook for groups. If it is a special occasion like an anniversary, etc, I like to give them a shaker with some of the rub in it.

Plus it looks good. I have an apron with my logo, too.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:40 AM

I think pumpkin would be a great ingredient. ... I like the more specific challenges, though 'grilling' was a fun one.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM

I would love to see apples as an ingredient! I've never cooked with them before but I think they can be used in a ton of different ways, both sweet and savory.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 AM

I am off to BBQ for a customer of my real job today. 50 people or so.

Papa Perry's Popper's
Carne Asada
Pollo Asada
Salmon

Is what I'll be grilling.