Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Moral question?

An apology only makes sense if there can be restitution. A dying person can provide no restitution so an apology is meaningless. Accepting a meaningless apology creates in you the value "people can do whatever they want to me and apologize" this is not a good value to have as it will attract bad people who want to exploit you into your life. Only accept apologies where someone has given adequate restitution and has taken action to change their behavior in the future.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My father left when I was three, I met him a couple of times when I was about 20, after each time he made no effort at contact.

He died this year, and I have little doubt that a visit from me in the hospital to tell him I thought he was a great dad would heve decreased his distress at dying. I chose not to make that trip.

Was my decision immoral?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is quite the same thing. My interpretation of the OP was that the person being apologized to was there already and nothing else was required accept to make the accept/reject decision. Your situation is different and more complicated. I don't know where the line is for how much effort is required to give comfort to someone who has done you harm.

The OP also didn't mention what was being apologized for, which would make the story better but probably doesn't change things too much. I'm not sure why you would be in a situation to reject the apology for someone doing something really outrageous.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Accepting a meaningless apology creates in you the value "people can do whatever they want to me and apologize" this is not a good value to have as it will attract bad people who want to exploit you into your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty dumb. The situation described is a deathbed apology, not an every day apology. I'm also leery that being a hardass magically attracts a better class of people than if you are willing to accept an apology without extracting revenge first.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:03 PM

also if anyone feels i should cross-post this in another forum, suggest which one and I will do so, I'd be interested in lots of responses of course. I wasn't sure how appropriate it was to do so.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:49 PM

There’s a good chance that the person would have apologized earlier, but didn’t have the courage to do so – too embarrassed or whatever.

Another good probability is that with death approaching, the person finally “got it - that things came into perspective. He realized what matters and what had been nonsense prior to this point in his life.

I’d consider those types of issues and decide how I felt about the apology.

Personally, regardless of how I felt about the sincerity; I’d accept the apology and let the man die in what he would think was peace. The Truth of the matter wouldn’t really make a difference – he’d get the same relief either way. It would only matter to me – the survivor. I’d feel good about how I handled it. I’d either feel comfortable if it were an actual forgiveness or in thinking that at least I gave him some comfort despite my not being able to actually forgive.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:12 PM

I think it comes down to the golden rule of all human life. "Do to others as you would want done to you." If you were dying and wanted to apologize to someone, would you want them to accept your apology?
Old 11-17-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it comes down to the golden rule of all human life. "Do to others as you would want done to you." If you were dying and wanted to apologize to someone, would you want them to accept your apology?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have that backwards. You are giving a good argument for why you shouldnt do anything that requires you to make a deathbed apology. I mean, I would like it if people gave me all their stuff and money, but I'm not going to give them all my stuff and money.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:52 PM

you should forgive him regardless. it doesn't matter whether he apologizes or not.

this is for your own sake more than his.
of course, you have no "moral" obligation to forgive him...but whats the point of holding a grudge forever? people are selfish.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how my thought process mechanism would develop if I were a murderer trying to apologize to the mother of one of my victims. Your statement illustrates partially why I posted this: in most of these seemingly extreme situations (which actually have and do happen), a lot of people aren't capable of putting themselves in the other persons frame of mind/perspective because it is just not something in their nature, which makes it such a difficult situation to process in my opinion. (I hope that makes sense, I tend to ramble sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 11-17-2007, 10:13 PM

If they only hurt me sure, they are dying anyway.