Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: OMG RANDOM STRAT POST (long: Some insight on playing AQ in low buy

[ QUOTE ]
meant BB sorry,

But is there anyway to protect against the set mine and does anybody fold this?

[/ QUOTE ]

your hand is simply a cooler.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:52 PM

Xpert, thanks.

I'm limping AK/AQ after 2+ limpers quite often recently cos I'm results oriented and hate raising cos so often I'll just c/f or get c/minr'd if I try c-betting. But if I raise I'm always playing for stacks readless with tp which makes post flop a lot easier. Playing AQ tp for stacks is profitable esp in position with bet/3-bet cos villains will usually c/r and call a push with any tp/draw.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ALSO: I am a huge [censored] and a huge [censored]. The following people need to be thanked for their feedback and input to this post---

Pudge
THE HIPPO
*DevinLake
slim pickens
kevin8423 (or variation of those numbers)
probably bhokie somehow [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha i didnt do [censored] but you are welcome anyways. see you in like 35 hrs
Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 PM

Great post.

AMT charges $250/hr for coaching. I'm his agent and get 10%.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 PM

Fckn Hilarious [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
MP (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t20, Hero calls t20, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t80) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t60</font>, BB folds, CO calls t60, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t320</font>, SB calls t260, CO calls t260.

Turn: (t1040) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1160 (All-In)</font>, SB folds, CO calls t1160 (All-In).

River: (t3360) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3360

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
CO has 5s 4s (full house, fives full of fours).
Hero has Qh Ad (two pair, aces and fives).
Outcome: CO wins t3360. </font>
Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 AM

Nice post. I've always criticized people's nittyness with AQ here as well. The only rational arguments they have for it are bad ones that would suggest you should not raise AK for value pre-flop either.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:29 AM

ZOMG ppl not raising with AK and being scared of sets in a low buy in sng[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]!!!

I lean towards what AMT posted but still for the life of me can't get myself to raise with AQ. AQ is still profitable hand (over a small sample size) for me even though I limp and never raise with it in the first 2 levels. If you struggle post flop then I would either raise/fold it when folded to preflop.

I'd rather raise and reraise with QQ+ and raise and sometimes reraise with AK in the first 2 levels. I think what it comes down to is personal preference, I've won some huge pots limping with AQ and have had the sense to get away from it post flop when I flop a pair.

I don't think this or any post will definitively argue whether you limp or raise with AQ in the early 2 levels, although I'd bet that raising more often then limping seems better. Sooo... I don't know, I guess I'm done rambling. Nice post. I'm going to bed.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ZOMG ppl not raising with AK and being scared of sets in a low buy in sng[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]!!!

I lean towards what AMT posted but still for the life of me can't get myself to raise with AQ. AQ is still profitable hand (over a small sample size) for me even though I limp and never raise with it in the first 2 levels. If you struggle post flop then I would either raise/fold it when folded to preflop.

I'd rather raise and reraise with QQ+ and raise and sometimes reraise with AK in the first 2 levels. I think what it comes down to is personal preference, I've won some huge pots limping with AQ and have had the sense to get away from it post flop when I flop a pair.

I don't think this or any post will definitively argue whether you limp or raise with AQ in the early 2 levels, although I'd bet that raising more often then limping seems better. Sooo... I don't know, I guess I'm done rambling. Nice post. I'm going to bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea is that in first two lvls you can get away with AQ even if you raised pre-flop you can get away from it.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:04 AM

Your experience matches mine.

Nice article
Old 06-19-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this or any post will definitively argue whether you limp or raise with AQ in the early 2 levels,

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, this post does not definitely argue raising over limping, the main points regarding limping vs raising in position were that a) in the low buy ins I feel that value is missed by not raising in many spots where people choose to limp and b) in the higher buy ins there are more pros to limping a hand like AQ (mentioned in the buy in section and when touching on AJ at the end).

the main thing to remember is that none of what i say governs any one decision you make; your reads and information available at the table will help mold this information.