Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 03:58 AM

Default I dont like being raised ($25nl 6 handed)

the villain has a vpip of 43%, and is generally quite aggresive. he had been defending his blind quite mercilessly as well, with us going back and forth.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $47.75
BB: $21.70
UTG: $24.75
MP: $5.75
Hero (CO): $24.90
BTN: $17.35

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, 2 folds, BB calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.80) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1.80</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $3.60</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $10.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises all-in to $20.85</font>, Hero calls $10.85

Turn: ($43.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

River: ($43.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $43.50 ($2.15 Rake)

BB had T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Queens and Tens) and WON (+$19.65)
Hero had Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (a pair of Queens) and LOST (-$21.70)

I realise the finall call was retarded here. The reraise was also a bit too much. So you can go ahead an rip me a new one for that, I deserve it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I guess what I wanted to ask though was. Is there any sense in me reraising here?

Say reraise to $7, and then fold to a push or reraise...

would that have been an acceptable play here?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: I dont like being raised ($25nl 6 handed)

After being annoyed by the check min raise i realized that most of the time this means top pair or better.
Think about the logic behind minreraising out of position. If you were to min cr someone do you expect them to fold?....you showed aggresion pre-f and on the flop and you also have position for the rest of the hand so why would anyone expect that you would fold for a min riase???

the reason most people use the min cr is because they want to make the pot bigger without scaring anyone away which means your Q9 is rarely good in that spot ...if you think he is bluffing just call and see what he does on the turn
Old 09-10-2007, 04:36 AM

Thanks for the response,

I agree with you, but I think partly what threw me off was the size of the raise.

I bet 3.6 which he raised to 10. Does that really constitute as a minraise? it was the size of the reraise, that i mistook somewhat for weakness.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:44 AM

Going to *grunch* this one.
Fold pre-flop. Why are you raising this hand. Even if you has the button here (which you don't)your read on the villian means that raising this is not a good play. As played, I'd call the flop reraise and then check-fold the turn. You have a gut-shot draw and top pair - mediocre kicker. If you're not taking this hand down early, you want to see a cheap showdown or get out. Given his aggression, the former is unlikely so bail on the turn.

Also, don't post the result - distorts the analysis.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:31 AM

Fold pre-flop. Why are you raising? Q9o isn't even in my standard opening range on the button. And yet here you are raising it from the CO against a villian you describe as being aggressive and not being prone to folding his blinds. That's the real problem IMO.

As played I see no reason whatsoever to 3bet the flop and I think doing so was a very poor decision.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre-flop. Why are you raising? Q9o isn't even in my standard opening range on the button. And yet here you are raising it from the CO against a villian you describe as being aggressive and not being prone to folding his blinds. That's the real problem IMO.

As played I see no reason whatsoever to 3bet the flop and I think doing so was a very poor decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here, here good sir...
Old 09-10-2007, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the response,

I agree with you, but I think partly what threw me off was the size of the raise.

I bet 3.6 which he raised to 10. Does that really constitute as a minraise? it was the size of the reraise, that i mistook somewhat for weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you bet pot ($1.80) and he minraised you $3.6 - sorry to say it but this entire hand is major spew. Preflop is really terrible, if you ask me, raising offsuit trash from co, against loose aggressive blinds - I don't think there are many players good enough to make up for that with position, and you demonstrate postflop exactly why you should avoid these hands at all costs.

Reraising the flop is not defendable in any way, and building a big pot to fold (ie. raising to $7 and folding) is awful. Top pair with a weak kicker is not a hand you want to be playing a big pot with.

I can't stress preflop enough, fold the hand every time to avoid these spots.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:16 AM

Preflop is really no biggie, as we are up against a villain who gladly stacks off with top pair random kicker. Only trouble is, so does hero.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:34 AM

That was my main issue, but even so, how do we know villain gladly stacks off with top pair random kicker? Because of his vpip and flop minraise? Q9o is a really marginal hand, and you might not even have the button on the flop. Villain will often make us fold when we both miss, unless you suggest rebluffing/calling/stacking with Q hi or whatever draws or weak medium/top pairs we might hit. We almost never flop a monster, or a big draw, and Hero doesn't even have a solid read. Add that to the times you're called by either button or sb, or reraised, and I'm starting to really dislike this hand.

You might be able to turn a marginal profit out of Q9o in co against an aggressive blind, but I'm guessing most players don't.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That was my main issue, but even so, how do we know villain gladly stacks off with top pair random kicker? Because of his vpip and flop minraise? Q9o is a really marginal hand, and you might not even have the button on the flop. Villain will often make us fold when we both miss, unless you suggest rebluffing/calling with Q hi or whatever draws or medium pairs we might hit. We almost never flop a monster, or a big draw, and Hero doesn't even have a solid read.

You might be able to turn a marginal profit out of Q9o in co against an aggressive blind, but I'm guessing most players don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the way hero played this hand he should definitely fold it until he feels more comfortable in these situations.