Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Re: can i sustain my current lifestyle? (workaholic)

Ummmmm, might be okay for a while, but at some stage you will prolly end up having either

i) nervous breakdown and be in a psychiatric hospital for a while

or

ii) no life.

How about a bit of balance?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:51 AM

Being ambitious is all well and good but not when it might eventually land you in a mental institution. I think you need to get some sort of balance in your life. So lets say you did manage to achieve all those awesome goals according to plan, but you end up becoming some sort of social retard. Where's the fun in that?

By all means work as hard as you want, it's your choice your life, but if you can't enjoy it in the end, you need to ask yourself if it's really worth it.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 AM

All work and no play makes ozdg3nr8 a rich man who missed out on the best 10 years of his life.

Crap, that doesn't rhyme at all. Me thinks there is a happy medium somewhere out there.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 PM

I can relate to your situation. I started a software consulting firm in 1998 at 23, right when the Internet was ramping up. Worked 60 hours a week, played cards 10-15 (I counted BJ then, now NLHE is my game). In 2002 after the bubble burst, I shut the company down and took a year off to play more cards and spend time with the family. Now I have another company, but I only work about 25-30 hours a week and play 20 hours of cards.

When you are young and have the energy, you should go all out to earn and save! Everyone "burns out", it's just a matter of degree, and the logical reprioritization of your life that comes with financial security and family.

I make a more BB/hr. running my business, but I enjoy poker more, and the freedom to balance my life like this is priceless.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:31 AM

When I turned 16 I got a job at Target. I remember getting a check for $200 and thinking it was great. Then I started playing poker and was able to easily make $200 in a night. Now I make $80 an hour and and feel like puking when I think that I worked at Target for $10/hr. My fondest memories are not of cashing checks or counting money but the experiences I had with other people. Im sure when you have 3 mill in your pocket you will bust out your calculator and figure out that you can make another 3 if you just work X hours a week for X more years and before you realize it your going to be a filthy rich 60 year old bastard balling completely out of control all by himself.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish to achieve complete financial freedom by age 35 and think i am on track to make this goal a reality if i sustain my current lifestyle which is work, eat, [censored], play poker repeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally wanted financial freedom so that I could travel and just be able to do things spontaneously without having to worry about work and everything. Why do you want financial freedom? I'm sure its not just so you can sit around and do nothing. I realized that there are ways to do the things I want without being a millionaire. I think you should take some time to look at what your really working for and see if there is a better way to get what you want.

Also, turning 200k into financial freedom shouldn't take 10 straight years of nonstop work...use your head a little.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:40 AM

thanks for all the comments guys, it has made me think about things.

of course i may completely burn out and turn into a social retard (whos to say this hasnt happened already to some degree?

i also dont feel that your 20-30 age range are the best years of peoples lives, i think generally, people pissfart around and waste these years. i want to maximise my earning potential during these years so i have a large nestegg that can support me when i am 35 so i will never have to think about money again for the rest of my days.

i guess the main answer to why i want financial freedom is that i dont like working. i dont want to work for the next 40 years of my life. i cannot think of one "job" i can possibly enjoy, poker included. i think i just have to get this next decade of working life out of the way.

from my rough calculations, with compounding interest and adding to my investments each year, i need to work pretty much nonstop for 10 years to have a nestegg of around 3 million (not including my house). i cant think of any other way around this without taking unnessary risks.

if you could enlighten me im all ears.