Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: **8 table - Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean that a person playing 8 tables makes lower quality decisions than a person playing 4? Or the scarier to me, playing 8 tables will make you worse at playing 4 tables after the fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think both are very true, and they feed off one another. If you make poor quality decisions (because you are rushed and dont have time to think things through) you wont understand the full reasoning behind why your decisions are poor and therefore you will be unable to learn from your mistakes.

There was a time where I decided to 6 table 50nl to build a roll (I usually 4 table only). The result was 20k breakeven, a huge amount of tilt, and total loss of confidence in my game. I had to move back down just to learn how to play again. I put a hell of a lot of hands in, but this huge volume of play did not help me in any way whatsoever, in fact it just destroyed my entire game.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Open up winamp on the second monitor and forget it can be used for poker. And what do you mean your rolled for 50nl? You need like 1500 to be rolled for 8 tabling 25nl.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol so not true
Old 09-07-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does this mean that a person playing 8 tables makes lower quality decisions than a person playing 4? Or the scarier to me, playing 8 tables will make you worse at playing 4 tables after the fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 12 table and when im tired such as after school i just 8 table. If you are timing out on tables or forgetting what happened on your tables than you have too many tables open. 8 tabling will not ruin your game or make you a worse player in the long run. It gives you an opportunity to see the game from a different perspective because of the amount of hands you are able to put in ...you quickly see what is working and what is not.

-Start 2 tabling, then 4, 6 etc... until you reach you max comfort level.
-Look over your hands to see if you are making dumb mistakes
-Look over your stats in ptracker to see if your multitabling has drastically changed your game
Old 09-07-2007, 04:11 PM

PSA: If you play bad, the long run isn't exactly where you want to get...

And FWIW: As soon as you open a 2nd table, you stop learning, really. Maybe you gain experience. But that is not that valuable in Poker when it's not accompanied by the correct learning processes. If you really want to work on your game, single table for an hour or so frequently, then go over the whole session, stove it etc. pp. until you are pretty sure that you know what the best decision would have been in each hand. Then tell me, if you improved. I'm too lazy to do this routine myself... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2007, 04:14 PM

well back to the strategy part of 8+ tabling is it better to play them all like they are there own table eg.rasing alot from button CO ,109,Ax and c betting .or is it better to forget all the mediocre spots and just play like a complete nit throughout the tables. seems u can drop a buy in rather quick with failed cbets 8 tabling .at at the 25nl level they just call you anyways eg,underpairs overcards i mean always cbet j47 but just calm it down a bit?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well back to the strategy part of 8+ tabling is it better to play them all like they are there own table eg.rasing alot from button CO ,109,Ax and c betting .or is it better to forget all the mediocre spots and just play like a complete nit throughout the tables. seems u can drop a buy in rather quick with failed cbets 8 tabling .at at the 25nl level they just call you anyways eg,underpairs overcards i mean always cbet j47 but just calm it down a bit?

[/ QUOTE ]

-just play your standard game and adjust to each table....if you have a table where u have 2 calling stations on your left you play tighter on that table
-you can also tighten up your game to not have to make so many decisions most people at 25nl are too busy looking at there cards to notice u r playing tighter
Old 09-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Tighten waaay up and play less hands so you can concentrate on the hands you play. I played 14/10-15/11 6-10 tabling $25NL. Winrate was decent, but you have to be at tables where villains will stack off light. 2000 hands is like 2.5 hours of play. Not a big enough sample to have any idea of whether you are winning or not.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:32 PM

what is the % of players at 25nl who are going to be floating and bluff raising? It cant be that high. I agree that your probably not learning as much when you multitable but I dont think you will get anywhere bankroll wise by single tabling. IMHO a winning player at 10nl should still have enough of an edge to win at 25nl just by playing abc poker.
I like the idea of one tabling and poker stoving and really opening up your game and learning but you gotta build a roll at the same time.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:03 PM

I think its pretty simple.

Play 1-4 tables until you can play near decent ABC poker. It is so fundamentally important that you KNOW and CAN play ABC poker. Practice, learn etc then slowly introduce more tables...play 6 for a decent sample, then 8, then 10 and then 12.

It doesn't matter if you start to nit up a bit by playing more tables. At uNL if you get the hands in and you beat the game for 2PTBB you can move up within weeks if you play enough.

The more you play the faster you can get out of uNL and move up. Rakeback at uNL is a help, it shouldn't be the reason to paly more tables. You should play more tables to increase your hourly rate.

If you have 500$ in 20 days you can turn this into $2,000 and move out of uNL. This is by say beating NL25 for 5PTBB then NL50 for 2.5PTBB. Which is very standard.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:46 PM

This thread comes at a good time for me. I've been 8 tabling NL25 for about 50K hands at a reasonable 4BB/100 winrate.

What I'm finally realizing after yet another shot at NL50 that cost me 6 buyins and pushed my bankroll back down below 500 is that ABC poker at NL25 is really not ABC poker. Very few people raise cbets light at NL25, which makes it very easy to play like a robot and grind out a profit just on volume.

With the ridiculously increased flop aggression at NL50 I'm just getting crushed. As another poster said, it's easy to drop a lot of money on cbets when you don't have good reads to know when to continue with a possibly best hand. NL50 is really where people start to put you on ranges and test your cbets frequently instead of playing fit or fold on the flop.

Basically, the conclusion I've come to is that if you can win at a given level 8 tabling, you probably need to cut your tables down to 4 or even 2-3 when you take shots at the level above. Once I grind my roll back up to 800 I'm going to try testing the waters at NL50 much more slowly and really make sure I'm focusing on my reads and putting my opponents on ranges.

But, as far as answering OP's questions about multitabling for rakeback, I think NL25 is the last place you can easily do that without getting exploited. You should be able to make a solid 3BB/100 plus another 1BB in rakeback, which on 8 tables works out to roughly $16/hour which is better than working at McD's. Using AHK scripts to help you manage table activation and bet sizing helps free up your brain a little bit too.