Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 11:07 PM

Default A philosophy site some might find interesting and helpful...

A site where you can pose questions to actual professional philosophers (besides myself):

http://www.amherst.edu/askphilosophers/
Old 07-08-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: A philosophy site some might find interesting and helpful...

[ QUOTE ]
A site where you can pose questions to actual professional philosophers (besides myself):

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a bunch of guys spouting off their personal opinions. Maybe I should snoop around a little bit more, but this one on medical price-setting seems pretty spurious and like anything I expect to read on, say, 2p2.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a bunch of guys spouting off their personal opinions. Maybe I should snoop around a little bit more, but this one on medical price-setting seems pretty spurious and like anything I expect to read on, say, 2p2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by "a bunch of guys spouting off their personal opinions," but the panelists are indeed professional philosophers. Thomas Pogge, for example, who is one of the panelists who responded to the question that you posted a link to, was a first-rate student of John Rawls at Harvard, and a professor of mine at Columbia where he still teaches.

There is a link where you can read about the panelists.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like a bunch of guys spouting off their personal opinions

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt that pretty much what philosophy is?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by "a bunch of guys spouting off their personal opinions," but the panelists are indeed professional philosophers. Thomas Pogge, for example, who is one of the panelists who responded to the question that you posted a link to, was a first-rate student of John Rawls at Harvard, and a professor of mine at Columbia where he still teaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt their qualifications, but not much of what I read one one topic chosen more or less at random seemed like it was philosophy. It was just the opinion of a guy who happened to be a philosopher. Not a lot of supporting his reasoning, just a lot of assertions.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt their qualifications, but not much of what I read one one topic chosen more or less at random seemed like it was philosophy. It was just the opinion of a guy who happened to be a philosopher. Not a lot of supporting his reasoning, just a lot of assertions.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not going to find dense philosophical prose containing fully articulated arguments from professional philosophers on an internet forum.

Just having the chance to get any feedback at all from a panel of professional philosophers is a terrific resource for those interested in philosophy, and anyone who wants to delve more deeply into a topic can do further research.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This seems like a bunch of guys spouting off their personal opinions

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt that pretty much what philosophy is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly. The hallmark of analytic philosophy is rigorous argumentation--quite the opposite of spouting off personal opinions.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the "Is it ethical for surgeons to use economic considerations when setting their fees?" and so far it flows along those lines...

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be wrong to use simple supply-and-demand considerations where the supplier (the surgeon) charged the highest price the market will bear. Why? Because higher prices will exclude those with less money from the service, and I don't think it morally defensible to distribute essential medical services on the basis of wealth.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't seem like an answer to the 'why' question except in the loosest sense. "I think X is wrong because it requires Y and I think Y is wrong." I was surprised to come to the end of his comments without an answer to the 'why' question and seemed like a dog chasing his tail.

Perhaps Y is a given, it didn't seem so to me and I tend to agree with his end position.

luckyme
Old 07-09-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the "Is it ethical for surgeons to use economic considerations when setting their fees?" and so far it flows along those lines...

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be wrong to use simple supply-and-demand considerations where the supplier (the surgeon) charged the highest price the market will bear. Why? Because higher prices will exclude those with less money from the service, and I don't think it morally defensible to distribute essential medical services on the basis of wealth.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't seem like an answer to the 'why' question except in the loosest sense. "I think X is wrong because it requires Y and I think Y is wrong." I was surprised to come to the end of his comments without an answer to the 'why' question and seemed like a dog chasing his tail.

Perhaps Y is a given, it didn't seem so to me and I tend to agree with his end position.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how I read that reply, and what prompted my response.

Its entirely possible that I just happened to pick a really bad topic, and that the site as a whole is much better.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how I read that reply, and what prompted my response.

Its entirely possible that I just happened to pick a really bad topic, and that the site as a whole is much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you got levelled.