Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 04-17-2007, 11:03 AM

Default stop order or limit order or could i do both?

Which do you guys prefer?

I'm looking to give myself some protection over some of potentially volatile shares.

partygaming has done everything of which i was expecting/hoping and i don't think it will rise much more without major news about being allowed back in the US, which is the short term is very unlikely. Having read a number of sources, I now believe party will not be allowed back into the US, and the only way US will be allowed to gamble is via state run sites i.e. not party.

so...i'm thinking of putting a stop sell order at 50p (currently at 55.25p). but then i remember reading a investor magazine say to let it run up to 60p then sell. so i was thinking, could i put maybe a limit sell order at 60p.

does this sound wise, doing both of them?

just i honestly don't see the price going above 60p, and it could easily drop way below 55.25p down to 37-42p i'd say. tempted to sell now to be honest, they was a slight drop during march of players on party, which isn't good.

but then a load of europeans could go back to play there rather than stars, and full tilt when they stop allowing americans.

tough.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: stop order or limit order or could i do both?

STOP(and i don't mean stop order)
Old 04-17-2007, 11:13 AM

lol, thanks, i kinda think i should do, but it's kinda fun, and i think it's profitable.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:14 AM

and i think im about to pump $10K-$20K into sports betting as an investment, seems preferable in terms of guarenteed return, tax free.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:40 AM

you are risking $5.25 in profit to make an additional $4.75. Doesn't make sense to me. If you are convinced the upside is limited (no more PG in US) the downside is another market axes PG (like Canada which is a pretty big market I would think.

IMO - take the profit and look else where (not sure how good an investment in sportsbetting might be though, LOL)

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:27 PM

You can put a trailing stop on it.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and i think im about to pump $10K-$20K into sports betting as an investment, seems preferable in terms of guarenteed return, tax free.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah given your extremely logical and unemotional approach to life and investments you will definitely have a guaranteed income stream from sports betting.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:10 PM

i'm going to be investing in tipsters etc, spent last few days looking now and again over sites which should give me a decent tax free return.

i'd never do sports betting myself, i'm definitely not able to do better than the professionals setting the odds, just the tipsters can find those small edges every week.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:52 PM

You're up 100% on Party and you don't believe it has much upside left? Personally, I would sell all my position. When one of my position has performed well and I feel that there's no upsisde, I sell and move my money somewhere else. Another strategy you could use is to sell half your position and keep the other with a stop at 50.

Would you buy Party at today's price?? If you answer no, then why would you hold?
Old 04-17-2007, 01:06 PM

if i hadnt already halfed my position then i would do that (sell half, stop on the other half), but i've gone from $4K when i first bought it at 27p, then sold at 32p. rebought for 36p for $3K. it went up just over 40p, i then sold $1.5K at 32p during the market correction(no jokes, i sold at the very worst moment during the correction) so only have $1.5K left in it.

think ill put a stop at 52p on it and see what happens.

thanks for the thoughts. been a useful learning experience just looking into this as i never have really bothered about it before.